Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has Skeeter ever fixed their livewell issues

Im in the market for a boat and have genuinely considered nearly every brand. Ive fished out of and know a ton of guys that own Skeeters and they all seem to have varying livewell issues. My tx partners fx20 has one livewell that wont fill about 90% of the time and its not a clogged hose. He can generally put the outboard in reverse and goose it and itll start filling. Weve had nothing but problems with his livewells as long as ive been fishing with him. Fished with my buddy that has a 17 zx250 and he spoke of similiar and other problems (on top of the 2 dead fish we had that may or may not have been livewell caused). I like most other things about a Skeeter but dont wanna buy a headache like most of the other guys seem to be dealing with. Anybody else had these problems
    They aint got hands, set the hook

2. Member
    buy an older I class and forget about it

or a

basscat

Quote Originally Posted by bwp777 View Post
    buy an older I class and forget about it

or a

basscat
    +1 on the i class..
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

The only problem I've heard about the livewell in a Skeeter was the size in the 15 year model ZX series...but I know for a fact it'll keep 28 lbs alive and well from 7am on...so I'm not seeing the issue...I'm not a fan of the oxygenators, never have been but that's not the question here... There's better oxygen systems out there but that aside, I don't think there's much wrong with Skeeters livewells...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Have had 3 bags over 18 lbs and 3 over 12 in the 6 tournies I have fished so far out of my 18 ZX 250 and no problems with filling or vapor lock or dying fish. So far the livewell has been flawless

About 200 or so Skeeters fish 16 Bass Champs events every season here and they have no dead fish issues. Personally I have never heard that Skeeters had any livewell issues. Maybe one here and there like all brands but for sure not an epidemic.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    About 200 or so Skeeters fish 16 Bass Champs events every season here and they have no dead fish issues. Personally I have never heard that Skeeters had any livewell issues. Maybe one here and there like all brands but for sure not an epidemic.
    Agree with the above. None of my Skeeters have NOT had any livewell issuse filling or operating, I've had dead fish but NOT due to Livewells.

I've had issues with deep fish myself but who hasn't.. That's not a livewell issue... Thats a biology issue..learn to use a needle.. the correct needle...

Jonathan Hillstrand

9. Member
    If putting the boat in reverse gets the pump started he probably has a sagging hose causing an airlock.

10. Member
    Mine is a 2000. Went through the live wells when I got it and replaced the original pumps with higher compacity pumps. No issues other than operator error one time.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    If putting the boat in reverse gets the pump started he probably has a sagging hose causing an airlock.
    There are actually 2 guys that i fish with that have the exact same issue with their livewells not filling. One is an fx20 and one is the smaller 18'er. Both have had it back to dealers and both have yet to have it resolved. Saying its a vapor lock issue. Both are 2014ish boats, thats why i questioned if theyd fixed it but a sagging hose could certainly be the problem.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    I've had issues with deep fish myself but who hasn't.. That's not a livewell issue... Thats a biology issue..learn to use a needle.. the correct needle...

I never said the livewells WERE the issue with dead fish. Sometimes that happens when you catch em in the summer and i do know how to use a needle, the right way. Im the guy that goes to the ramp after the tiurney with my needle trying to save others fish

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I never said the livewells WERE the issue with dead fish. Sometimes that happens when you catch em in the summer and i do know how to use a needle, the right way. Im the guy that goes to the ramp after the tiurney with my needle trying to save others fish
    Only reason I brought that up was because it always a problem at the ramp this time of year....nothing to do with Skeeter or Ranger or whatever type boat...vented lids or no vented lids...I poked a few yesterday that cooperated and a couple that didn't...then there was one I thought I hit in the wrong spot that I fought all day in my livewell that swam off soon as I turned it loose after weigh in...stupid fish just wanted to make me sweat a little more cause it was a 5 lb fish i guess...

Jonathan Hillstrand

14. Member
    I have to admit in my 2015 Skeeter ZX 250 when I first saw the livewells before I bought it I was hesitant. I have had it since new and never have an issue with keeping fish alive or any of the livewell function.

15. Member
    Can't you fill by closing and turning on the pumps if you had to?

16. Member
    I had a 15 ZX250 and sold it 4 months after buying it because I did not trust the live well anymore. Skeeter should have kept their original design of two independent wells. Why would they save money on the most important part of the boat? :)

Livewells are not rocket science. It’s a Hose hooked to a pump. It’s either a pump or hose issue. If the pumps are running and no water enters the wells you have the so called vapor lock. Backing the boat up will usually force water up to the pump to get it primed. If that doesn’t work check you my hoses. Make the needed corrections and go fish. If the pump doesn’t run figure out why. Fix it and go fish. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty to fix the issue. Every bass boat uses the same if not nearly identical system and they are not hard to figure out.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

18. Member
    I must admit that I haven't looked inside a brand new model but I do like having 2 different livewells.
    there are pros and cons for each but I would rather have the independent livewells vs the single and divider.
    my 09 iclass doesn't fill when I open the valves but I can pump water in and out as needed.
    my issue was that there were no quick bullet connectors for the pumps so I cut and spliced the in for easier changes if I am on the water.
    I could probably nit pick every brand out there for 1 reason or another but this iclass is a 1st class rig.
    your results may vary.

My 15 model will only fill about 3 inches or so if I leave the lever on open...the livewell isn't very deep in the boat like say an older bumble bee or a bullet bass boat and the way they sit...but all I need to do is turn the pump on and it'll fill it up...keep the lever closed and the auto fill on and it stays full...not a problem....

Jonathan Hillstrand

20. Member
    I bit the bullet and put a deposit on a used fx20 today. I honestly wasnt trying to bash Skeeter with my post, just wanted to see if the livewell issue was as widespread as it seems. I may have the only newish Skeeter not running a Yammie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast