Question Scroll speed and ping rate

I have an issue when I increase the scroll speed to fast or ultra on my 1042. With my school speed set to ultra I get massive interference on the screen and have to lower the gain to make it go away, That only happens at trolling speed between 1.5 and 3 mph, if I increase the boat speed say 10 mph or higher the interference goes away.
    My question is, when I increase the scroll speed does it also increase the ping rate? Also if I manually decrease the ping rate, how will that affect the returns?
    Thank you.

Fish on!!
    C//

Anyone??

3. Member
    i'm no help. Apparently there is a connection between ping speed and scroll rate. Sure sounds like it. What transducer is this? I guess you could manually try to change the ping speed (transmit rate). When you have this situation it is tricky. Now understand I don't have any inside info here. You could just say I made all this up, but it's what I think I have observed.

My take on the software settings is that I get the opportunity to make suggestions. The software may use them or may ignore them. I think that the manual settings for transmit rate, transmit power, and scroll speed are of the nature of user requests. Some settings are hard, meaning you get what you set it to, whether it's good or not. Like, manual depth, brightness, contrast, gain. Others look soft from the user side. Internally there appears to be a hard setting for max and min ping rate depending on depth regardless of user settings. Same thing on scroll rate. Regardless of user setting, you'll see a much faster scroll rate in shallow water than deep water on the same setting. Also, internally, I think there is a hard setting for how many repetitions a return must be picked up before it is displayed, even on the A-Scope. I wish this was under user control too, but nobody does that.

Don't forget that you do have some other setting that might help. Under Noise Rejection try Low, or Medium; maybe High. On other brands I was reluctant to use this because it was eliminate fish returns. Garmin does a better job than the others on this; meaning getting rid of noise but keeping the fish return. Sometimes TVG will make a big difference. You could try Smoothing. It's not as drastic as the Interference setting, more like fine tuning. It depends on what the interference looks like. If its a faint color, you can use Color Gain to get rid of it. Set the Gain where you want it first, then set the Color Gain.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Thank you LW
    I run a GT52 with the 1042 and a GT40 with a 95SV CHIRP, I can run them both at the same time without any interference as long as the GT40 is set to 77khz.
    I will try your recommendations and see what happens.
    Thanks again
    C//