Placement of gps puck.

I've always read that for a unit to be the most accurate the puck needs to be mounted as close to the transducer as possible. I just mounted an 899 on the front of my allison xb 2003. Not wanting to drill any new holes and not wanting to take up floor space I mounted the puck on the trolling motor bracket. I figured if it didn't work out I would just connect the front graph to the rear one and be done with it.
    When I tried it out it worked like a charm, puck is out of the way and still reads just fine. Has anyone done this before?

2. Member
    Post up a pic. I’m interested.

3. Member
    As long as it has an unobstructed view to the sky and it’s not a heading sensor type puck I don’t see a problem. Ram makes a finder mount that has a spot on it for a gps puck.

4. Member
    I believe it is a heading sensor one, what difference would that make?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Post up a pic. I’m interested.
    Send me your number and I'll text you a pic.

6. Member
    I am sure Wallace was referring to potential magnetic interference From the motor or its power wires affecting the compass heading. Bob

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I am sure Wallace was referring to potential magnetic interference From the motor or its power wires affecting the compass heading. Bob
    Yes sir

8. Member
    I see. From the center of puck to the center of the motor shaft is 7". So far it has worked great. Gonna be on the water today and I'll check it out again.

9. Member
    Your gps position will be great. The direction of the compass is the thing to check. Bob