89 Champ first boat

So here it is my first boat. Honestly don't know much about it besides the obvious it's an 89 Champion Johnson GT 150. Was cruising about 28mph at 3500 and maxed out at around 54 at 6000rpm. Prop is not in the best shape currently stainless hear aluminum are more forgiving. Looking for an on-board charger currently only has solar panel on top of motor. Trolling motor is also not the greatest but does the job so may wait on upgrading that. Suggestions on what to watch out for and charger and prop brand/models are welcome. Glad to be in the club.

2. Member
    23 raker or 23 tempest w on omc hub kit for the prop, no aluminum.

Highly suggest pulling your motor/jackplate, aluminum cap on transom and resealing.

Is that a 20 footer? Looks like a 201.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Welcome! Looks like a 201 to me, Seeing from NY I'm wondering if that boat came out of Brook Cove Marine? I bought mine new from there back in 89 and it came with a GT150 I ran that motor for many years and it was a great performer with that motor on it. I've still got the OMC trolling motor on mine and there aren't many better than that one. I ran a 24 P raker on mine and that was THE prop for that combo. The 150 is long gone and now there is a 2001 225HO Johnson on the back. 54 is about right for your rig.

4. Member
    I know it's been a while boat was in shop for new lower unit. Knew that Brook Cove sounded familiar for some reason then noticed it on plate below front of motor. Still having trouble with running motor trimmed down but will get there I hope.

5. Member
    Nice boat.

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Aluminum is NOT good!!!

Looks good , best of luck with it

2009 ELITE 210

8. Member
    Looks nice for the age.

Welcome!!