Running the river

Haven’t been outside of the Charleston pool yet. I’ve heard when you get up towards the Montgomery area goin towards the falls it gets a little sketchy with boulders and things. Other than that is the rest of the pools safe to run in?
    also closest ramp below Winfield locks to me is buffalo. Is that a good/safe ramp to launch from for exploring another area with out locking thru?
    Thanks
    2014 Phoenix 920 pro xp / Merc 250 pro xs

2. Member
    Don't go past the railroad bridge in the Montgomery pool until you learn where to go. Yes Buffalo ramp is fine. They have a nice dock there now. As long as you run in the channel you wont have anything to worry about except floating debris
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

3. Member
    Thanks a lot! I’m gonna start venturing out into other areas since I’ve learned a little about this pool but wanted info from the guys that have hometown knowledge. It is really appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 13tzx190 View Post
    Don't go past the railroad bridge in the Montgomery pool until you learn where to go. Yes Buffalo ramp is fine. They have a nice dock there now. As long as you run in the channel you wont have anything to worry about except floating debris
    yeah this is pretty much what you need to know.

5. Member
    Thanks. Tried buffalo ramp. I was told the ramp in Chesapeake, behind fire dept, was prob best in that pool ($5 parking)? Also where is a good/safe ramp for Montgomery pool? Don’t know if I’ve even seen a ramp in that pool. Thanks in advance for all the info. It really is appreciated.

6. Member
    Only decent ramp in Montgomery pool is under the bridge in town. There is a ramp on the RT60 side of the river that use to be owned by WV tech but I never seen very many people use it. I think it may be gravel but not sure. As far as I know those are the only ramps up there.
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

7. Member
    [QUOTE=Jigflipper88;9442565 I was told the ramp in Chesapeake, behind fire dept, was prob best in that pool ($5 parking)[/QUOTE]

Chesapeke ramp is ok. There is also a ramp in Glasgow but its kinda hard to get in the water especially if your alone. Stay away from the ramp near Pratt. You will probably come back to find your truck sitting on blocks with the tires missing
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

ramp under Montgomery bridge is a good ramp. I've used it a few times

9. Member
    You guys been catching anything in the river? Water looks like chocolate milk and alot of debris floating down stream.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mullins057 View Post
    You guys been catching anything in the river? Water looks like chocolate milk and alot of debris floating down stream.

I haven't caught anything decent the entire year. With all the rain we have had the water has been really messed up. Hasn't been stable for more than a day or two. I didn't really even notice a spawn this year.
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Mullins057 View Post
    ive only been on it a couple of times and only caught a few dinks. I seen it took 6 pounds to win a tournament there Saturday. river seems to be down again this year.

you mention that about the spawn I have wondered about it for years. seems like about the time they should spawn we get a flood every year. I know nature will take care of itself but river seems to be the same every year anymore. terrible!