2017 Mercury 300xs lower unit problems

2017 Mercury 300xs serial #1E053228 ..... I was running across the lake at about 65 mph when all of a sudden the boat just slowed down kind of like I would have lost my prop. Once the boat settled I gave it gas while in gear and it wouldn’t do anything but rev up. Raised the motor and prop looked fine, but when I tried to spin the prop you could definitely tell something wasn’t right. It’s a brand new lower unit with about 15 hrs on it. Just changed the gear lube 3 days ago, and the oil looked fine but I did notice fine shavings on the magnet on the bottom oil bolt. We tried putting another lower unit on but wouldn’t shift Correct. I had problems with my shift shaft on my last Lu and the mechanic fixed it but 30-40 hours later my !u locked up and had the entire Lu changed under warranty. I’m wondering if the shift shaft could have cause my new Lu to fail again?

2. Member
    Not likely.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Agree- not likely. Sample fluid FIRST.

Probably need to get that back up to Evolution right away to have it checked.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor