Banned

Breaks locking up in reverse

I just had to get a new truck (GMC) and now my brakes lockup on my trailer while going in reverse. I know there is something electrical going on. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. Scraps
    My last truck I had to install something in the electrical panel for the trailer kit. That was a Ford, I now have a GMC, but never had to add anything. I bet Google could solve this mystery.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Dumb question but do you have the 5 pin brake adapter plug in the truck receptical? The 5th wire is to disenguage the brakes when backing up.
    Eric Anderson
    Nashville Boating Center

4. Member
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    Thanks Tom, that helped out a ton. Problem isn’t solved but at least I know the problem and it will be easy to fix!

6. Member
    My guess is that is has something to do with the truck's wiring since you said that it started with the new truck. Trailer requires a 7-pin or 5-pin connector (I think most have 7). There is a cheap tester that you can get to plug into the truck to check the wiring operation. The reverse pin has to be working or the brakes won't unlock. Check the truck manual and see if there is a fuse for the trailer plug.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades