Any good trailer locks out there?

I’m looking for a good lock to lock my trailer onto the hitch while it’s parked at the boat ramp. Any adeas what the best one is to get?

2. mikesxpress
    Any good hardened lock. If a thief really wants your trailer they have bolt cutters.

3. Member
    What ever lock you choose for the trailer you will also need to weld the nut on the ball to keep people from just unscrewing it and put a lock on the receiver if you have a receiver hitch.

I am with mike on this one. If they want it they are going to take it. You just need to make your more of a PIA than the others at the ramp.

The other thing that I always do if I am worried about it is to back the trailer into the spot so that the trailer is against the lake, woods, etc so that they can't maneuver it off the back of the truck if they cut the lock.

4. Member
    what I found out about these locks are that they're only good if the thieves don't have any tools with them, but if they have a hammer or a cutting tool then its game over for the lock. I've had a few different brand locks for the trailer to the hitch in the past and when I lost the keys to them I had to break them open. They were all very easy to break and it only took me about 5 seconds to break them open.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

5. Member
    I just use the pin that comes with the Ranger Trailer and have really good insurance.

6. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    You just need to make your more of a PIA than the others at the ramp.

The other thing that I always do if I am worried about it is to back the trailer into the spot so that the trailer is against the lake, woods, etc so that they can't maneuver it off the back of the truck if they cut the lock.

Or park next to Tom.

7. Member
    Go to etrailer.com a lot choies.

8. Member
    I do have a pin lock for the trailer tongue hitch, also a padlock for the coupler. As said above, I try to back up against some type of stop. Has worked for 40+ years.....BUT, my spare trailer tire has been hanging out in the open with no type of lock for 40+ years as well, and that has worked also.....
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

9. Member
    Haha. I do have carry a $500 deductible and full replacement on the trailer, so if it is stolen it would be a pain for sure to get my boat off the water but I would get a new trailer for around $500. But I sure would not want to have to go through the experience. With that said most trailer locks, if not all can be busted in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post

Or park next to Tom.

10. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Watch this and see how easy it is to get around some of the locks out there.

11. mikesxpress
    I've seen the aftermath of a guy at the ramp with his trailer MIA. Disaster at best. Just make it more difficult than the others is all you can do. And I do have my spare locked.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I've seen the aftermath of a guy at the ramp with his trailer MIA. Disaster at best. Just make it more difficult than the others is all you can do. And I do have my spare locked.
    What would a person do if the trailer and truck are gone? How would you get your boat off the water. Often wondered this. I lock my trailer to the hitch, but that doesn't mean the vehicle and trailer can't be stolen.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    What would a person do if the trailer and truck are gone? How would you get your boat off the water. Often wondered this. I lock my trailer to the hitch, but that doesn't mean the vehicle and trailer can't be stolen.
    That's it, I'm selling everything and staying home.....
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Billy View Post
    Watch this and see how easy it is to get around some of the locks out there.

to bad they dont have a locking system you can install when towing your boat. When my boat is unhitched from the truck it is in my locked garage.

15. Member
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66