Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Echomap Plus 73cv for front of aluminum bass boat?

Hello everyone, I was in my local BPS looking at what electronics to put up front since my boat has nothing at the moment. I was steered toward the Echomap Plus 73cv. I was set on a different product but the touchscreen really pulled me toward this unit.

I am now researching this unit over the Hook2 I was dead set on and I would like to hear from anyone using these Echomap Plus units. I was told the cv is for freshwater and the sv is for saltwater but from what I’m reading on here a lot of you guys have the sv units??

if you can help point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I don’t want to compare brands or anything, I really liked this unit but it was out of stock so now I get to research! Thanks in advance!

I fish in central Florida, mostly shallow stuff, I’m not real fond of offshore cranking but I will when needed! If I need to answer any questions please ask! Thanks again, Chris
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    I think you're referring to 93sv vs 94sv? 94 includes ocean base maps and 93 includes fresh water
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

3. Member
    The 73cv has LakeVu maps, 2d sonar and DownVu sonar. The 73sv has LakeVu maps, 2d sonar, DownVu sonar and SideVu sonar (often called Side Imaging). It's personal preference as to whether or not you want SideVu but I would recommend getting it. As for the Echomap itself, I've owned several and absolutely love them. I've also owned other brands and I think the Echomap is much more user friendly. The settings right out of the box will give you very clear images for the most part without having to mess with any settings.

Whether it's a cv or sv really has nothing to do with freshwater or saltwater. The 94 cv or sv will have coastal maps which would be more for saltwater whereas the 93 cv or sv will have inland maps which covers freshwater lakes.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks guys, but it is an Echomap Plus 73cv or sv. I was told by the salesman that the sv does the side imaging which would be useless to me in Florida lakes because of the shallow depth. I see that they each can be ordered with different sets of maps for regions, fresh water, saltwater, etc. Garmin seems to have MANY more inland lakes, over 13,000, while the closest competitor is a third of that.

I really liked the the fact that it’s touchscreen. I automatically tried them all as if they were because I’m so used to my iPhone and iPad. For $600 it seems like a great unit.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    I'm not sure why he told you that side imaging would be useless on Florida lakes. That's just not true. I would recommed you go on youtube and watch some videos on side imaging and make a determination as to whether it's something you would want or not.

As for the maps. If you order a Echomap Plus 73cv or 73sv it will have U. S. LakeVu HD Maps (with 17,000 lakes) already installed when you get it. You can go to the Garmin website and it will list what lakes are actually covered. You don't have to worry about regions or different sets of maps. It comes pre-installed right out of the box.

You can order the Echomap with or without a transducer. Make sure you order the one that comes with the transducer. Hope this helps.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That’s great advice, the videos are pretty killer....the ones of people that can actually video stuff!! Next question, is it possible (I know anything is possible but is it cost effective?) to get a second power cradle and mount it by the console and move the unit from the bow to console? I really like how the unit snaps out and stores away from the boat without having to unhook any wires.

Not sure how I would wire into the existing transducer but power would be easy enough!

thanks fellas, I’m def getting the Garmin unit, the touchscreen is a huge selling point....even my wife said “it’s only $100 more” when compared to the Hook2! What a woman!

7. Member
    I chose between the same units. I am no IT guy, but the touchscreen is so easy to use that it is a no brainer. The sv (sideview) will have a larger transducer. My cv unit is on my main console, so transducer in back of the boat. I would choose same unit 10 out of 10 times.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The E+ unit will run circles around the Hook2......yes I have both lowrance and the 9" E+ unit....

Do yourself a favor and call Brian @ BBG Marine a call and price the unit with him.....probably be cheaper than BPS...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

9. Member
    I have two units, four mounts. Two mounts at the console, two on the bow. I love it! The worst part about moving them back and forth is waiting for it to reboot. Otherwise, no regrets.
    As for using one transducer and two units, do as fishin coullion suggested, call Brian. Or call Garmin, the customer service is fantastic. You might come out money ahead and buy a used transducer. Go to the personal sale, electronics, on this site. Every now and then someone is selling one.
    One of the lakes I fish has a max Depth of 22', average of 10'. The sideview is fantastic!

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Now that skunk says it, I think there is a used cv52 kn the for sale page...

Here you go: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=908095
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Member
    Their ya go! I have a feeling that would be your best bet.

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I did order the ECHOMAP Plus 73cv for the front. I can’t fit a unit this large in the dash so I will either use a mount where I can see it from the front and drivers seat, or I’ll get a dedicated sv unit and make it fit the dash! I will find a way! The last unit I bought was a GPSMap98 for my bay boat 18 years ago so I have some learning to do!

Thanks everyone and now now that I used the $60 in “points” I had at another place I can start utilizing board sponsors more!