Banned

MOST EXPENSIVE Swimbait/Bait you have thrown?

basically what the title says.

I bought a Bull shad...and thought I was a super baller fisherman....then I saw some of the other swimbaits out there.....and then I saw the Mother swimbaits!!! lol im a pretty frugal guy....and gotta get the bang for my buck when im spending swimbait type of money!...so im a bit skeptical when baits cost $500+

Do people really throw those high end baits like the mother...or is it more of an art/fishing appreciation type thing and they rarely get fished....or just a token toss in the water and then never tying it on again? Ive read on forums where people say they buy Vision 110s as art pieces.......and thats silly to me! lol but im not sure Id throw a $500-$1000 bill into the lake repeatedly like it didnt matter!

The wind caught my bull shad and slammed it on a rock....I about had a heart attack....so i might just harakiri myself if I lost a $100+ swimbait!

2. Member
    45 bucks I want some of the more expensive ones but I won't buy them.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Member
    350.00 Nezumma rat

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    45 bucks I want some of the more expensive ones but I won't buy them.
    Same here....I really had to convince myself to pull the trigger on the bull shad. And thats a damn good bait....it really is. Havent caught a hog on it yet....but I dont mind spending the money after I got it and saw it in action. Now....not gonna fill a box with them...but it never hurts to have 1-3 around if the time calls for it. Only 1 for me so far...but im thinking about buying a bucca bull gill...and maybe a soft plastic blugill or huddleston (not anytime soon tho, just future plans).

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabassin14 View Post
    350.00 Nezumma rat

Do you throw that regularly? Does it effect your fishing? by that I mean...is it an open water bait, and do you avoid bushes, trees and other cover so you dont lose it? Prolly helps that its a wake bait and you wont need the scuba gear to dive down and get it....right? I think id be more willing to buy an expensive wake bait or top of the water column bait because of that.....but some of those sub surface baits. Once theyre hung up and lure retrievers dont work.....well thats a $100+ bill you just left underwater for the lake gods! lol

Less than $1. A 5" Kalin grub on a 1/8 oz ball jighead on 8-10 lb. test works fine. Swim it about midway in the water column. I don't think more $$$ catches 'em any better.
    Last edited by Walkabout7781; 06-17-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: mo info

6. Member
    Do you throw that regularly? Does it effect your fishing? by that I mean...is it an open water bait, and do you avoid bushes, trees and other cover so you dont lose it? Prolly helps that its a wake bait and you wont need the scuba gear to dive down and get it....right? I think id be more willing to buy an expensive wake bait or top of the water column bait because of that.....but some of those sub surface baits. Once theyre hung up and lure retrievers dont work.....well thats a $100+ bill you just left underwater for the lake gods! lol[/QUOTE]

The only thing I find myself doing out of the norm is i really make sure I tie one heck of a knot. As far as fishing any of my expensive lures its all the same and yes ive lost some but thats part of it. Honestly I think its more of a collection thing to me now than when it started as a swimbait addiction thinking they would catch the kicker every trip. I HATED how that Nezumma fished it was the slowest reeling thing i had ever thrown. Either traded it or sold it and was a rare color and it haunts me that I did. Probably gonna pull the trigger on a whole family of them in all the sizes when i see the ones i want come up for sale, and i hate fishing them. I currently have 4 brand new 316 fs that are brand new still in the pack have probably had them for 3 years so it become more of a collection thing to me. Fishing id much rather throw my bullshads and triple trouts just because of the weight difference. 316s are like slinging a brick over and over again BUT they are awesome though lmao. I need rehab for my tackle problem

7. Banned
    $54 Jerry Rago™ I lost it when I moved in 4 years ago, and to this day I slow down expecting to find it Of course that learned Me

8. Member
    I had a Deps 175 that I bought used for $90, I caught some nice fish on it until a mid 40's musky came up from under the boat and stole it. I've got a Johnny Rat that I paid around $100 for that has caught a ton of fish. To be honest though I think an S Waver or a BBZ Rat will catch you just as many fish for a fraction of the price.

9. Banned
    Did you fish it differently since it was an expensive bait? I shouldve asked that in the OP lol

S waver is gonna be the next swimbait I buy....its not badly priced at all. Plus it looks like the tactical bassin guys throw it pretty often, so its gotta work decently

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    Did you fish it differently since it was an expensive bait? I shouldve asked that in the OP lol

S waver is gonna be the next swimbait I buy....its not badly priced at all. Plus it looks like the tactical bassin guys throw it pretty often, so its gotta work decently
    Pretty much all I throw are s waver's and ganteral jr. Just bought some savers gear shine & glides but haven't tried them yet.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

11. Member
    $100 3:16 Baby Wake, have caught many fish on it. $79 Triple Trout have only caught 1 but don't fish it much. $45.00 MS Slammer, quite a few fish.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

If you fish scared you will not be effective at catching fish regardless a swimbait or using a rubber worm. I have broken a few off with braid so I stay with Mono or Fluorocarbon now. Yes will get sick watching a prize 3:16 swimmer sail three times the length it was supposed to. Where you fishing in El Paso, Elephant Butte? I used to fish there not too long ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wtrwsel View Post
    If you fish scared you will not be effective at catching fish regardless a swimbait or using a rubber worm. I have broken a few off with braid so I stay with Mono or Fluorocarbon now. Yes will get sick watching a prize 3:16 swimmer sail three times the length it was supposed to. Where you fishing in El Paso, Elephant Butte? I used to fish there not too long ago.
    nice collection.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

14. Member
    I've thrown some $150ish dollar baits, the most expensive I've lost is about $50. I throw a particular $75 dollar bait a lot and have backups for the day i finally lose it.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    $85 on a 10" Tripple Trout. I like the bull shads better and they cost less.

16. Member
    Woodrow Rat. About $100.00 Pretty bait....and caught fish!!

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wtrwsel View Post
    Yes sir...the good ol butte! Im guessing youre military?

Fully agree about the fish scared part.....actually just started tying on my bull shad more regularly. I got tired of leaving it behind, and seeing it get not used and just collecting dust. Sitting and staring at a $50 bill, not using it is a different kind of painful....and makes no sense since I bought the lure to fish it and hope for a big bite! lol just hoping I dont lose it now....but I bought it as a bait, not an art piece....even tho those bull shads are damn pretty baits! lol

and great looking collection!

18. Member
    S-waver 168 and 200 in Light Trout and you are set." DON"T FORGET TO GET THAT ROD ON MONDAY "

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysfishing View Post
    S-waver 168 and 200 in Light Trout and you are set." DON"T FORGET TO GET THAT ROD ON MONDAY "
    lol...i didnt wanna bump that thread anymore....lots of bidders this time! hoping I can swoop in for it the last hour....but I got a reminder set! no forgetting this time. Just reset my ebay password too...been so long since Ive used it. Fingers crossed!!!

20. Member