Thread: So disappointed

So disappointed

I made the switch to ABU about 10years ago from quantum because they couldn’t mak a real that had a durable finish. Well Garcia is worse. I have several MGX and MGX extremes and a few of the mid range reals and they are all corroding. No I don’t fish salt. I do have them professionally cleaned and checked once a year and wipe them down periodically. What to do? I recently started buying some Lews. I guess we’ll see.

2. Member
    I have tried all the brands. I use abus. Their older Sweden made round reels are still great. I have learned however when it comes to modern reels if you want durability you need to buy shimano or Daiwa.

Lews and abu low profile reels are basically the same.

3. Member
    Your right the old ones were great! Have several old c3’s that look almost new. But just can’t go back to those bulky slow reals. Are your abus carroding?

4. Member
    simple fact .. aluminum oxidizes. if you get a scratch or nick exposing the aluminum if left unfinished it will oxidize.. people made fun of curado's and others being plastic or carbon or something other than metal.. but they don't corrode like the metal ones... brand is irrelevant if its aluminum framed or other parts its going to "corrode" or oxidize if you expose the bare aluminum...

5. Member
    Lol; that simple is it? Lots of aluminum in my life “uncoated” substantially older than my protected,painted,corrosion resistant reels and it still looks pretty good comparatively .I would say has more to do with the quality on the finish and coatings. Making their slogan ABU for life, pure BS.

6. Member
    Corrosion from a 2 year old Revo SX Gen 3:
    Revo corrosion

I gave it away.....it ruined the reel seat on a $260 St. Croix rod.

7. Member
    most aluminum you have in your life has some sort of treatment on it.. when it is exposed to gases and fumes in your rod locker, salt water from your sweat, lake water, etc.. it corrodes.. the other aluminum you reference will also corrode eventually if exposed to the same environment.. Just "Outside" is not the same.. now, I am not saying the coatings couldn't be better on these reels.. but my point was that the post started saying he was going to switch brands to avoid the corrosion.. I would recommend he consider switching from aluminum.. I have several reels that have the same type of corrosion... ABU's, Lews', Quantum's.. the common factor in them all is how I abuse them and the aluminum....

8. Member
    Smallmouthguy, I feel for you, however I have 10 MGX's and 2 Xtremes and I have none of those issues. My reels look as good as the day I bought them. Mine are about 5-6 years old. Are your ABU's L.H or R.H? I might be interested in buying the Xtremes?

9. Member
    I have used Revos since they first came out. I have S, SX, Premiere, MGX models. I fish brackish water 95% of the time. I do not have any corrosion issues with my reels. I wipe them down with an oily rag occasionally and service them annually. For me they are excellent reels for the price. This is especially true for my Gen-1 Revo S models.

10. Member
    i have lews abu's and shimanos--like my lews best
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    Corrosion from a 2 year old Revo SX Gen 3:
    Revo corrosion

I gave it away.....it ruined the reel seat on a $260 St. Croix rod.
    Now that looks horrible!! Never seen anything like that.

I have an Abu Garcia Winch that is two years old and is corroding. Not a fan anymore. Might have to go back to Quantum or Diawa.

13. Banned
    It's the oils (or sunscreen, bug spray) from your hands.

14. Member
    a lot of time you’ll find reels corroding in the lockers because of baits left on. Soft plastics with a lot of salt
    will store water creating condensation . Take your baits off everytrip leave lockers open and you shouldn’t have any problems .

15. Member
    Looks just like some of my 25 yr. old Uncle Josh lids.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    most aluminum you have in your life has some sort of treatment on it.. when it is exposed to gases and fumes in your rod locker, salt water from your sweat, lake water, etc.. it corrodes.. the other aluminum you reference will also corrode eventually if exposed to the same environment.. Just "Outside" is not the same.. now, I am not saying the coatings couldn't be better on these reels.. but my point was that the post started saying he was going to switch brands to avoid the corrosion.. I would recommend he consider switching from aluminum.. I have several reels that have the same type of corrosion... ABU's, Lews', Quantum's.. the common factor in them all is how I abuse them and the aluminum....
    You raise an interesting point about the users sweat. Some people have more aciding sweat than others. So two guys could have two very different experiences due to this.

I click on the link to the pick of that real I’m gonna guess it came in contact with something out of the ordinary that caused that.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I have tried all the brands. I use abus. Their older Sweden made round reels are still great. I have learned however when it comes to modern reels if you want durability you need to buy shimano or Daiwa.

Lews and abu low profile reels are basically the same.
    Shimano "china" are not the same as Shimano "Japan"