Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Has anyone installed a Grab/assist bar for stepping from front deck to the floor?

I probably didn't describe that very well but what I am looking for is some sort of bar/pole to install next to the console on my Tracker 190tx to assist when stepping from the front deck to the floor of the boat. A friend is playing with the idea and here is a picture of his initial install.

I know we can do much better than this but as a trial idea it worked pretty well. I would prefer not to fasten it to the console just the floor.
    I have to believe that somebody has already designed something to steady yourself when stepping down off the deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

2. Member
    Grandfather has one installed on his 190 very close to your picture. He bought one that has the loook of a Shepard’s hook and fastens at two points. One on the cockpit floor and one on the deck between the hatches. I think it is made of metal pile and is threaded into flanged bases which are screwed or bolted to the floor and deck.

3. Member
    Put this in my RT188: Basically a 4' flagpole
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Grandfather has one installed on his 190 very close to your picture. He bought one that has the loook of a Shepard’s hook and fastens at two points. One on the cockpit floor and one on the deck between the hatches. I think it is made of metal pile and is threaded into flanged bases which are screwed or bolted to the floor and deck.
    Do you have any idea where he got his bar? It sounds like what I am looking for.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    Humminbird Mega360

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    Do you have any idea where he got his bar? It sounds like what I am looking for.
    No clue. It looked to me like a handrail that you see marketed for handicapped folks to install by a stair or in a bathroom.

6. Member
    Hmmm, if one were to use all galvanized pipe fittings....and capped the galvanized riser pole with a PVC pipe, I think you'd be all set.

You could add some sort of Tennis handle grip wrap to give you a better hold on to the PVC.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Hmmm, if one were to use all galvanized pipe fittings....and capped the galvanized riser pole with a PVC pipe, I think you'd be all set.

You could add some sort of Tennis handle grip wrap to give you a better hold on to the PVC.
    I am considering doing exactly that. I am going to wait until my friend finishes his experimenting as he has a fishing friend who can cut and thread pipe so I want to see what conglomeration he comes up with.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

8. Member
    I added a verticle galvanized pipe grabber onto my trailer to give me something to grab onto when I climb off of the boat.

I have since added EZ Steps, but the original pipe is still a great help.

At 78, I use everything available.

9. Member
    I'd think that your biggest concern would be how thick and sturdy is the area where the large pipe flange is screwed into the deck.....

10. Member
    I saw a real simple one on a tracker. It was pipe strapped into the side of the step up sorta like the one in the Ranger pic.
    I can't imagine that one is going to work long term just screwed in the floor.
    Physics is just not on your side.

Pop

11. Member
    These kinds of balance issues (stepping on/off front deck) finally forced me out of my Ranger into a stick steer boat. One bad fall can really ruin your day.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by mha View Post
    I saw a real simple one on a tracker. It was pipe strapped into the side of the step up sorta like the one in the Ranger pic.
    I can't imagine that one is going to work long term just screwed in the floor.
    Physics is just not on your side.
    I would think that if you screwed it into the floor and then also ran a bolt horizontally into the corner of the rod compartment where you could add a piece of steel on the other sidefor strength it would be a durable set up. There will be growing demand for this as an option, hopefully manufacturers are listening.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

I have a friend that used one side of a roller type walker handle seniors use. It works great, is sturdy and is the right height. He took the tennis balls off the legs LOL.

If I keep the RT I will probably add one because I had a buddy grab my windshield during a wave last year in Florida and broke it. Had to buy a new one.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

14. Member

Doubles as tool holder

I'd be leery of bolting anything galvanized steel onto the boat... eventually iron will rust.
    The aluminum walker handle is actually quite ingenious! sturdy, and light weight.

Any sort of stainless pool grab rail would likely work, but they don't give those away - that's for sure.

I have seen some aluminum spa grab handles that can be bolted directly to the deck, or to a side-structure. They are over $100, but well made. A few examples:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Cover-Valet-C...75.c100623.m-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leisure-Con...-/371719618523

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Conce...pa+grab+handle

https://www.amazon.com/Spa-Side-Hand...RNXXTJHYH2SA8E

16. Member
    Thrift stores have all sorts of Age-assist devices. Many in aluminum or SS.

I don't think that galvanized would rust, but you are right, there could be dis-similar metal reaction. You might have to use a rubber pad, and SS bolts.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I would think that if you screwed it into the floor and then also ran a bolt horizontally into the corner of the rod compartment where you could add a piece of steel on the other sidefor strength it would be a durable set up. There will be growing demand for this as an option, hopefully manufacturers are listening.

Pop

18. Member
    I went a different route.........I took 2 pieces of pressure treated 4x4's that are about 10" long and glued and screw them together so now it 7x10". Then painted them bright red to stand out. I place it in front of the steep step so it's not so steep. When not in use I just slide it under one of the consoles. The weight of this keeps it in place all day long. Cost was zero since I had the wood, glue, three 4" deck screws (counter sunk of course) and the paint.

19. Member
    Pressure treated lumber on an aluminum boat??????

20. Member
    YES, the wood has been painted several times and it sits on a vinyl floor that has treated wood underneath it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast