Trim Fluid Level 300XS

I'm taking a rainy day to do maintenance. I pulled the trim fluid plug and fluid came pouring out. I haven't had that happen before on other motors. I have the motor trimmed all the way up and the tilt lock in place. Should it be that full?

I lowered the nose to make the unit closer to level as well. Still poured out.

Seems to be over full to me. Will that cause issues with pressure when full down and the reservoir fills? Should I drain some to make it level with the fill port?

2014 300XS standard mid. Serial Number 1E052523.

Thanks in advance.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

All the hydraulics I have ever worked with ---when the cylinder was compressed the fill port should be full to the bottom.
    Might be Monday--
    hopefully someone will come along who knows for sure,

Agree. Seems like the level should be lower. Even this full since new so not sure what to say.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you had the trailer/boat relatively level... and the engine full-up on the tilt lock bar, then it was OVERFULL.

Correct level is "just to the bottom of the fill opening" under the above conditions.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor