USA 1990 Strator 256V Prop

I recently purchased a 1990 256V with a 70 HP Johnson. It currently has a 14 X 17 prop on it but i am not sure what the original size was. It is only running about 34 MPH and seems like it should be more. The engine runs great so thats not the problem. The RPM gauge is not working (hope to get fixed soon) so i dont know what RPMs i am running. Gotta replace the fuse block or clean it because of the rust so hope that fixes it. What speeds should i expect and does anyone know what the original Prop size was. Thanks in advance!!

Don't worry about what original prop was - it was whatever the dealer put on. What you want is what runs out at for rated rpms now - should be 5500. Get the tach fixed so you know what its running.

Most used Boats already have the best prop on. The song and dance been done by most prior owners

4. Member
    34 is about all it's got. Dad had same boat with 70hp and that is what we got. Tried a few props and I believe it was the 17 pitch stainless that was the best. Great little boat.
    2012 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    2012 Mercury ProXS 250 w/ Fury 3 26