‘03 Ficht 225 EMM Removal question...

Going to send it off for repair and am struggling with disconnecting the lower right comm cable (torx). It appears inaccessible because of the injector. Surely I don’t have to remove the injector to access this torx? Can’t remove the EMM to access this torx because the comm cable itself blocks the lower right bolt that fastens the EMM to the block.

Special tool or trick?

Consulting my Seloc manual now.

Unrelated but surprised that the EMM ground is attached to the lower left bolt that attaches the EMM to the block. I thought it would be attached directly to the block below the flywheel.

Thanks...
    Last edited by Neverest; 06-16-2018 at 12:42 PM.

2. Member
    Please disregard. I wasn’t aware of the “long arm star key wrench” - Allen wrench styled. Regarding the EMM ground, the Seloc manual explains that this location is normal...

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Throw your Seloc manual in the trash and get an OMC service manual...live will be be much easier.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Throw your Seloc manual in the trash and get an OMC service manual...live will be be much easier.
    I can attest to that lol
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    +2

6. Member
    Will do and begin shopping for an OEM manual. Thanks...

When you reinstall the ground wire, route it under the starter solenoid bracket and attach it to the ground cable stud for a secure connection.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

8. Member
    Will do.

For anyone else that might desire to remove their EMM, note that on mine, two of the four EMM bracket fasteners are actually pivot points and do/did not require any attention. The initial access issue I raised in my first post is moot. Note the upper left pivot point allows the EMM bracket to slide right; the lower right pivot point allows the EMM bracket to slide up. You can then pivot the EMM bracket counterclockwise a little to disengage the lower right pivot point and then slight it right to disengage it from the left upper pivot point. You could then easily access the comm cables - especially the two on the right partially obstructed by the injectors while the EMM is mounted to the block. I disconnected the comm cables first before realizing the female housing that accepts the lower right comm cable still blocked access to the EMM bracket bolt that I mistakenly thought needed to be removed.

My external inspection of the EMM was enlightening:

1. Two of the four screws that attach the EMM backplate are missing leading me to believe that someone has worked on the EMM.
    2. Somebody, using a grinder, ground a portion (about an 1/8”) of the EMM housing apparently in an attempt to vent it which confirmed someone worked on the EMM and inferring prior undisclosed service related to the problem I’ve been chasing.

Extremely frustrated, aggravated, and disgusted with this situation but a pitfall of not buying new...
    Last edited by Neverest; 06-17-2018 at 01:21 PM.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverest View Post
    Will do.

For anyone else that might desire to remove their EMM, note that on mine, two of the four EMM bracket fasteners are actually pivot points and do/did not require any attention. The initial access issue I raised in my first post is moot. Note the upper left pivot point allows the EMM bracket to slide right; the lower right pivot point allows the EMM bracket to slide up. You can then pivot the EMM bracket counterclockwise a little to disengage the lower right pivot point and then slight it right to disengage it from the left upper pivot point. You could then easily access the comm cables - especially the two on the right partially obstructed by the injectors while the EMM is mounted to the block. I disconnected the comm cables first before realizing the female housing that accepts the lower right comm cable still blocked access to the EMM bracket bolt that I mistakenly thought needed to be removed.

My external inspection of the EMM was enlightening:

1. Two of the four screws that attach the EMM backplate are missing leading me to believe that someone has worked on the EMM.
    2. Somebody, using a grinder, ground a portion (about an 1/8”) of the EMM housing apparently in an attempt to vent it which confirmed someone worked on the EMM and inferring prior undisclosed service related to the problem I’ve been chasing.

Extremely frustrated, aggravated, and disgusted with this situation but a pitfall of not buying new...
    caveat emptor

10. Member
    Agreed. Probably my greatest character flaw is that I presume everyone shares my character traits versus those being of questionable character. I’m a firm believer in karma and what goes around, comes around. Just need to embrace the “trust but verify” philosophy...

11. Member
    Hey bud,
    I sent my emm to EMM REPAIR.COM
    The guys name is Harris he fixed mine after DFI said they fixed it and failed less than 10 hrs of run time.
    Of course 10 hrs took me more than a year to put on a the that time fishing small lakes.
    Just FYI .