Opitmax Idler Pulley Wobble

150 Optimax: 0T986377

Noticed this yesterday when checking under the cowl - the idler pulley looks like it is wobbling - Doesn't seem loose and sounds normal (ie: sound hasn't changed) - Any opinions on whether this is something I should be concerned about?

Link to short video:

Thanks in advance.
    D

2. Member
    im no outboard mechanic but it sure seems like there is a chuck=spot missing out of that belt to make it bounce like that,id take it off where you can look at the complete length.

3. Member
    some movment is normal in idler pulley
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Joe - Thanks for the response - so what you are saying is that the movement shown in th video is Normal?

Appreciate your help!

D

5. Member
    yes looks minimal too me
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

However, make sure you REPLACE that belt at least once every 4 years or 400 hours (whichever comes FIRST). They do stretch.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor