Thread: Ned rig ?

Ned rig ?

I’m trying this new thing called Ned rig or Neko or whatever it’s called and to be honest I just can’t get into the spinning stuff. I’m want to throw this on a casting rod and not concerned about the reel as to the rod. If any one has any suggestions on something I would appreciate your advice. Now let me say I don’t want to spend an arm an leg on this deal cause it mite note last long with me. Also while I was down in Arkansas awhile back I looked a at a Phenix feather rod it seem like it was something that mite work. What ya think.

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I throw my NED & NEKO rigs on a GLoomis casting rod with a Lew's Reel. NO PROBLEM!
    I make my own NEKO weights and buy my NED jig heads... <~~ NEKO & NED are 2 different
    techniques. NED uses a jig hes and NEKO is similar to WACKY with a weighted head.
    When it gets very windy..I use spinning gear. I do VERY WELL with both.

Check this out for NEKO http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=907036

3. Member
    You need a really light tip to properly load with a bait caster for the Ned, most get by with a dropshot rod. I just don't understand the "can't get into spinning thing". It's a tool like any other.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    You need a really light tip to properly load with a bait caster for the Ned, most get by with a dropshot rod. I just don't understand the "can't get into spinning thing". It's a tool like any other.
    Agree! Gotta use spinning

5. Member
    If you go a finesse reel like aldebaran bfs on a ml casting rod it'll work pretty well but at the 1/8oz total weight range of a bait tough to beat spinning gear.
    I think something few think about is due to hand position on the rod a casting rod is different for a fine wire hook set as spinning allows for the light hookset better as bicep ihas shorter range of motion available as does wrist...yes, over thinking it but in trying casting equip for dragging type light techniques I noticed this. Especially when many are you still using their heavier casting equipment with bigger Hub sets the body naturally wants to respond that way since it has been trained to wear spinning has a different way of holding the rod so the muscles are trained to react differently as I set the hook much lighter with spinning gear than I do casting gear just because overtime that's how my brain has trained my body to react if that makes sense.
    I know...just go fish! ;-)
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    I grew up using spinning. Tried baitcast a few years ago. Loved it and didn't want to use a spinning rod for anything. So I understand the OP. I tried to use a baitcast for everything. Unfortunately my skill with weights below 3/16 oz. is sadly lacking. I now have 2 new spinning combos for finesse. If I could cast 1/16 oz. on a casting rod, I wouldn't have the 2 new spinning combos. I understood spinning is inherently better at some things, but didn't care. I finally broke down and admitted that....for me....a baitcast wasn't going to do it all. I just don't have the needed skill.

Once I admitted that I found a new interest in spinning gear again. My stuff was all old. The new rods and reels are great.

7. Member
    Thanks all. I’ve spent most my life fishing the Ohio river and never felt the need for spinning outfit. I know there will be some that say they use it and they may but,I hardly ever see it. Maybe I’ve been missing something.