A few more, paging DMoore

Recognize these?

2. Member
    Bottom right is a Ozark Mountain Wood Walker, the one above it is a Smithwick Stud Duck, the other 2 I do not recognize them.

3. Member
    Before I would ever question Donnie...I would be sure to check to make sure I was right. And if the book I have is right, the Smithwick is a Gandy Dancer. Hopefully that is correct, if not, I will gladly eat crow...lol. Smithwick made 2 completely different lures called a Gandy Dancer. These were the later lures and this is the 2nd version of the later type which has the ball bearing on the rear hardware. That's all I got.

4. Member
    delete

5. Member
    Well Eddie your probably right because I bet you know a lot more than I do about those Smithwicks than I do. The book I looked at showed this lure to be a Stud Duck but when I look on the internet I see this one and another entirely different one with that name. So now I’m really confused. Has someone put the wrong name and picture together in a book or did Smithwick change it? Thanks Eddie you take care my friend. Donnie

6. Member
    Gentleman,
    I found this at a Smithwick collectors site:

http://www.smithwickcollector.com/sh..._display_media
    and one sold on EBay for somewhere south of $250

Also find these on EBay selling from $8-15; curious

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Smi...p2047675.l2557

7. Member
    Donnie-I go by a book on LA made lures by Adrien Delbasty. With at least 2 different lures, Jack Smithwick gave a name to a lure and then later on, gave that same name to another lure. According to his book, the Gandy Dancer was such a case. The early Gandy Dancer and Gandy Dancer, Jr. The early Jr. lure looks a lot like the Stud Duck, with the heads shaped a little different. But this link (hopefully it works) shows the Gandy Dancer in it's latter namesake. http://www.smithwickcollector.com/sh...413&fullsize=1

Another lure that went through a name change was a Warhorse. In it's early days, lure that now bears the name Carrot Top was called a Devel's Warhorse. Sometime in the 70's, the Warhorse name was given to a prop-less Devil's Horse topwater and the old Warhorse was called a Carrot Top. I do have one of the old Warhorse's, A.K.A. Carrot Top.

It is all confusing. To make it even more confusing is the different lure manufacturers that were in Shreveport back in the early days. Ol' Ben's made a lure that looked like the Devil's Horse except for the eyes, called the K-9. One would assume then that there was feud between the different lure makers, but not only was Mr. Bacon (Ol' Ben's) friends with Jack Smithwick, but Jack gave his lure collection to Bacon's son who is still living (one of his son's died early in life and I believe his name was Ben, thus the moniker...Ol' Ben's) and owns and operates Bacon's Bait Shop to this day unless he has sold out in the past 2 or 3 years as that is how long it has been since I was in the shop. He sells new and used lures in the shop, but it is like stepping back in time for it is more like a museum than a tackle shop.

Donnie, if you ever get down to Shreveport, let me know and I will try to drive over and meet you...and lunch is on me.

8. Member
    Eddie thank you for that information, that’s the kind of stuff a guy would never know unless you collected them or studied the company. I used the Carrot Top in the 70s and 80s and had no idea it went through a name change. I have seen the Devils Horse look alikes and knew they weren’t Smithwick by the eyes. Thanks again for the info and I’ll take you up on the lunch. Take care Donnie