Is 2017 Chevy Tahoe a decent tow vehicle ??

2017 Chevy Tahoe 4 wd with 5.3 and Max Towing Package. Supposed to tow 7300 Lbs. Will this package be ok for a 33 foot travel trailer weighing 6500 Lbs. Anybody with experience ? Opinions appreciated.

2. Member
    it will tow it but it won't be the most pleasant tow lol

3. Member
    There's lots of better options. The tow rating is not the only thing to look at. Payload is very important. That camper is going to put about 10-12% of it's total weight on the ball. The camper is 6,500 and more than likely by the time you load it down with all your gear you will add close to another 1,000. Now you are dropping about 900lbs on the ball which is deducted from your payload total. Then add people, gear, pets if your taking any, etc. You are probably going exceed the payload or really close to it. My truck has max two package too and a "tow rating" of over 12,000lbs but there is no way in hades I would tow that much with it. They love to tout those "two ratings" for marketing but they're truly not real world numbers IMO.

4. Banned
    See below
    Last edited by Bamaman; 06-17-2018 at 08:39 AM.

5. Banned
    You are good on a truck with the max tow package. But if you are going to tow very often or far, go for one of the really premium equalizer hitches with away control. Blue Ox makes.one, and the hitches are expensive--and worth the price.

6. Member
    You wont be happy towing 6500 pounds with a tahoe.I towed a 5500 trailer for 3 years with a 14 silverado 5.3 4x4 ( tow cap 8400) It handled it but was to much when it gets hot . Trans temp always soared on 100 degree days.I switched to a Duramax this year and what a difference . feels safer towing ,stopping. Better mpg. More comfy all around.

i wouldn't want to go more than 30 miles from home with it, if your going to go hundreds get a diesel, for stated transmission temps, and gas has to work hard where a 3/4 diesel will dang near idle along
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Can it tow it, yes but I sure wouldn’t want to. A Tahoe has a shorter wheel base then a half ton truck. The Tahoe is going to sway in any kind of wind and be scary when passed by an 18 wheeler. I think you need to look at smaller campers or a different tow vehicle.

9. Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I was afraid that the above advice would be the opinion of many. Helps me make the decision back to a Class A motorhome easier, thanks again.