Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I broke the Xi5 remote

Just by pulling the remote out of my shirt pocket with the lanyard the tab that holds the lanyard broke.

Has anyone else managed to do this? I am going to see it Motorguide will replace it under warranty, but if they won't I would like to hear of any solutions to fix it. I was thinking of using epoxy to put a metal ring in that spot. Does anyone know the type of plastic the housing is made from so I can know if the epoxy will adhere?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    Definitely an issue with the remotes - since installing my Xi5 2015 I broke my first one about 5 or 6 trips in when I closed my center compartment and starting to stand up at the same time catching the remote in the hatch and snapping that little plastic piece. My fishing buddy did about the same thing with his remote too just a few trips in.

I did get a free one from MG - but the solution was to take a 2-3" loop of 50# braid, loosen screws in the remote, remove back two screws and slide the braid between the 2 halves of the remote and use the back 2 screws to capture the braid - the rubber gasket of the remote seals up around the braid - and that has worked for me since 2015. I also added a small rubberband/ponytail holder from my wife to the braid - that acts as a shock absorber - when I catch the remote in the steering wheel sitting down, TM, compartment lids, etc. Works great - I have several remotes and have them all rigged this way - even the non-broken ones.

Good Luck.

-Jonathan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

3. Member
    Broke mine a few months ago. I bought a replacement but still have the broken one. I seen on another forum via google where folks called MG and they sent them a new shell. I need to give them a ring but I have not done it yet. Mine got caught on the steering wheel when I got up.

4. Member
    The braid is a great idea. Thank you. Not sure where the pony tail thing is in your picture.

I hadn't thought of calling MG. I was going to take it to one of their authorized service locations. A phone call will definately be easier.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    I've broken two. First one they replaced with a new remote. Second they just sent back half. I bought a backup just in case. The solution for me has been using a rubber hair band from my daughter to give a stress relief.
    Last edited by Revolution Sonar; 06-16-2018 at 06:32 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbird View Post
    I've broken two. First one they replaced with a new remote. Second they just sent back half. I bought a backup just in case. The solution for me has been using a rubber hair band from my daughter to give a stress relief.
    Did you deal with MG directly or through a service center?

7. Member
    Broke mine early on. Broke out the rest of the plastic piece and replaced it with a piece of stainless steel. No problem since. Yet another of the little details that the MG engineers poorly designed to cause maximum frustration for end users. I have had to rig so many workarounds for this motor/remote/pedal it is ridiculous.

"Endeavor to Persevere"

9. Member
    Zelmo, the ponytail shock absorber is between braid and lanyard, black in the picture. The shock absorber hack came from PBIRD.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    Broke mine early on. Broke out the rest of the plastic piece and replaced it with a piece of stainless steel.
    What did you use to attach the stainless to the plastic housing?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    What did you use to attach the stainless to the plastic housing?
    I simply drilled out the sides where the plastic anchor bar was running and inserted the piece of stainless. This isn't the cleanest job I've ever done but it accomplished the task. I tried to take pics and post but it says the resolution is too high.

12. Member
    Well, MG isn’t going to do anything for me under warranty even though my unit is only 2 months old. The best they would do is to give me the part number for the back part of the housing so I could order a new one. I don’t see the sense of that because it will just break again.

I got some good ideas here and need to decide what route I am going to take. Thanks for the tips.

13. Member
    On mine, I just superglued it back together with glue I had in the boat. Its a piss poor design and for not having an lcd screen on them I cant believe anybody is still buying them.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Did you deal with MG directly or through a service center?
    Strait to MG. BTW, this is clearly a design flaw and a revised design is stuck in the same R&D department that is going to put the entire company out of business.

15. Member
    What is the part number that they gave you?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    What is the part number that they gave you?
    8M0136152

17. Member
    Thanks

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaphoenix View Post
    "Endeavor to Persevere"
    Greatest movie ever made. Josey Wales runs a Minn Kota.

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Greatest movie ever made. Josey Wales runs a Minn Kota.
    Sure did, and he cut that Minnkota loose right in the middle of the river.

20. Member
    Broke mine yesterday and found this thread, practical ,cheap and effective! Thank You Jonathan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast