HELP!! Bleeding brakes on a ranger trial

Hey y’all,

i just replaced my master cylinder on my 05 z21’s ranger trail and am having some issue bleeding the brakes. I went to the caliper farthest away from the cylinder and unscrewed the bleeders and had another person pump the cylinder with a screw driver. Yes I did prime the cylinder first as well. But while pumping the cylinder we could never get fluid to come out. I went the the first caliper just to see if fluid would come out of it and after some more pumping fluid did come out of it. Put those bleeders back in on the first caliper and pumped and pumped and the reservoir never got any lower on fluid and fluid never got to the second caliper. It seemed like fluid only lowered in the reservoir when the first calipers bleeders were out.

Do I have some kind of blockage? Anyone run into this before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Joe4d
    are you closing the bleeder valve in between strokes ? If not you are just sucking air back in the lines and accomplishing nothing. ( assuming this system works like a typical car hydraulics.) Follow this procedure,,, open bleeder,, Push cylinder, HOLD IT... Close bleeder, release cylinder, repeat.

3. Member
    http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Very easy to bleed brakes by yourself once installed on each caliper.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    are you closing the bleeder valve in between strokes ? If not you are just sucking air back in the lines and accomplishing nothing. ( assuming this system works like a typical car hydraulics.) Follow this procedure,,, open bleeder,, Push cylinder, HOLD IT... Close bleeder, release cylinder, repeat.
    No I had the valves pulled out of the back of the caliper....but it worked fine to get fluid to the first caliper?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartin56 View Post
    No I had the valves pulled out of the back of the caliper....but it worked fine to get fluid to the first caliper?
    Just to update anyone who might see this, i follow Mike's advise and opened and closed the bleeder and it worked perfect....Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jmartin56 View Post
    Just to update anyone who might see this, i follow Mike's advise and opened and closed the bleeder and it worked perfect....Thanks!
    Next time just attach vinyl tubing to your bleeder valves into a jar half full of fluid. Crack the valve open and operate the actuator with a screw driver until the tubing is clear of air then close the valve. Easy peasy!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

speed bleaders don't fight it.
    Thanks

Rick Wilson
    send2rwilson@gmail.com

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Next time just attach vinyl tubing to your bleeder valves into a jar half full of fluid. Crack the valve open and operate the actuator with a screw driver until the tubing is clear of air then close the valve. Easy peasy!

I've been doing it this way for 30+ years and it works every time.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step