98 optimal 225- Motor won't turn over! Got stranded on the lake.

0G751130

I was out on my local lake this afternoon with my 4 year old son. We launched and everything ran as it should, except the trim was a little slower then usual when we started out but quickly went back to normal. Thought that was strange.

So I got across the lake and fished for 2 hours...about 20 minutes before it was pitch dark out, I go to start the motor. It cranked for about half a second and then stopped. Ok, been here before...so I pulled the cowl off and assumed my starter was stuck. Which this starter is less then 2 years old. I lubbed it and it was stuck, but then popped back down. I went to start it...nothing. Dead silence. It did not even try to turn over. Next, my trim switch on the throttle was not working. So that was dead too. So running out of daylight, with my 4 year old with me and on the other side of the lake, I had no choice but to trolling motor at full power all the way across the lake. After I finally got loaded up, I noticed that my bow trim switch was working. It raised my motor...so that rules out a faulty trim motor, and faulty trim relays.

I am stumped. I put in a new ignition switch 3 years ago. The starter is new, and also my AGM group 31 cranking battery is not even 3 years old...but I do not think this is a battery issue. Could my ignition switch be bad again? Please help.

2. Member
    Andrew - my Yamaha did the same thing and it was the rectifier. Something to look for.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

3. Member
    Rectifier?? Does a merc even have one of those?

4. Member
    Check the main power relay.
    Check the battery and all connections.

5. Member
    This has the earmarks of a dead battery or loose cable. A voltage reading would be in order. If you've already charged it, a reading would tell something but if you have not, it would tell more.

6. Member
    I fixed the issue. Blown fuse on the motor block. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

7. Member
    The problem is not fixed, you must now find out what caused the fuse to blow, if not the fuse will blow again.

Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The problem is not fixed, you must now find out what caused the fuse to blow, if not the fuse will blow again.
    ran the boat all day today. No issues. If it blows again, I will start digging... if it blows in another 21 years, I won’t be too concerned.

10. Member
    Fuses don't blow without a reason...….It will happen again, so make plans so you are not left stranded.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Fuses don't blow without a reason...….It will happen again, so make plans so you are not left stranded.
    Odds are in favor of the above statement. ^^^^

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    ok, then what can potentially cause that fuse to blow? I did just replace my trim pump motor after that fuse blew. The motor was on its way out before that fuse blew and when we were fishing, before that fuse blew that same trip, my kid kept trimming the motor up and down.

13. Member
    We would need to know WHICH fuse you replaced.

14. Member
    2nd one up from the bottom, out of the 4 fuses on the driver side of the motor block.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 Elite203 View Post
    2nd one up from the bottom, out of the 4 fuses on the driver side of the motor block.
    Compare to Engine Owner's Manual to identify which fuse, or provide PRECISE wire colors from the fuse in question (preferably the FIRST choice).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Compare to Engine Owner's Manual to identify which fuse, or provide PRECISE wire colors from the fuse in question (preferably the FIRST choice).

I do not have a owners manual... tomorrow morning I will take a picture of the fuse I am talking about.

17. Member

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Starting Circuit Fuse. Something in the Keyswitch Harness (or a circuit driven from the keyswitch directly) shorted. Can include the trim system, also.

19. Member
    Cool. Thank you.