Ledge Fishing Image

Until recently, I almost exclusively fished shallow, even on predominately offshore lakes. This summer has been a big eye opener for me, as I have finally started to figure out how to find fish consistently while ledge fishing. One of the biggest keys has been learning how to utilize my electronics to their potential. It's actually ironic, because I have been teaching people about electronics for a long time now, but I still loved to focus on cover and structure I could see for the most part. Just recently I started really applying my knowledge of what my electronics can do, and also spending countless hours idling, and since I started doing that, I am having a ton of fun catching a bunch of fish.

One of the biggest things that is hard to overcome when learning how to offshore fish, is learning what you are looking for on your screen. I figured since I've been having some success offshore, I might as well share what fish actually look like when you are looking at your DownScan. The pic below is a school of bass that I had caught many fish off of.

Once I started finding schools like this, by using my Navionics maps I was able to find a bunch of other spots that have similar characteristics, and was able to expand on this throughout the lakes I fish. Also, it really made a difference in many areas to turn on the SonarCharts layer, which increased the detail on each area. There were several times I could find a small spot-on-the-spot by getting that extra detail.

If anyone else has some cool screenshots of a school of fish, Im sure we would all love to see them!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Nice shot!

John

3. Member
    Sorry I’m new to electronics. What in the picture are the fish? Is it the blue tight to the ledge or the marks above?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhtranger View Post
    Sorry I’m new to electronics. What in the picture are the fish? Is it the blue tight to the ledge or the marks above?

The marks close to the ledge drop are 2-3lb bass and the marks up in the water column are small schools of baitfish.

Nice image!!!!!!!

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

6. Member
    CR Bait.jpg

SM Bait.jpg

Smallmouth action with return of Shad Fall on the Columbia River.

7. Member
    Have you tried using the fish reveal feature? What I like about it is the larger fish turn up as dark blue arches and the bait fish still look like what your images are showing.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post

question why 800kHz DI in such shallow water?

9. Member
    Why Not, This was Gen 3 Lss1 setup at this time I always ran 800khz the higher the freq the more detail under a 100ft is my rule for 800/ over 455. Now with carbons and 3D its always 455 no matter the depth.

10. Member
    LSS-1 was always better on 800 while LSS-2 seems to work better on 455. IMHO!

John

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas

shopper;9455047

What exactly are the smallmouth? It looks like a bunch of baitfish to me.

Also, the numbers on your chart, 498, 347, surely those aren't depth?

12. Member
    If you look for the brighter dots those are the sm. Those are the depths it is the Columbia river if u look at the depth by the waypoint where I was fishing it’s 100ft 30 ft off the bank. 1 mile downstream is an under water falls called celilo falls which I have SS pics of.

13. Member
    Underwater Falls

CFalls.jpg

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post

Also, the numbers on your chart, 498, 347, surely those aren't depth?

49.8, 34.7
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax