Thread: GoPro tips?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

GoPro tips?

I just bought a GoPro hero 4 silver from a guy at work. I take my 7 year old son fishing with a lot now and thought it would be cool to get some of his fish catches on camera. Anybody got any tips on were to mount it and any possible starting points? It has the water proof case and a float that is suppose to keep it from sinking so hopefully I won't lose it the first time out.

2. Member
    Set it on 5 minute loop. Doing that will cause it to save five 1 minute videos. Once it gets to the 6th minute it automatically deletes the 1st 1 minute clip and keeps going in that cycle. This way you wont fill you memory car with a lot of useless video and the card be full in an hour. If you son catches a fish or something happens you want to save simply hit the button to stop recording right after it happens and the last 5 minutes are all saved. Hit record again and it starts a new 5 minute loop. As far as where to mount it, I like mine mounted on the driver console, and on top of the motor.

3. Member
    I’ve got mine mounted just below the rear butt seat with a pole mount, this has worked great for me!

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    Set it on 5 minute loop. Doing that will cause it to save five 1 minute videos. Once it gets to the 6th minute it automatically deletes the 1st 1 minute clip and keeps going in that cycle. This way you wont fill you memory car with a lot of useless video and the card be full in an hour. If you son catches a fish or something happens you want to save simply hit the button to stop recording right after it happens and the last 5 minutes are all saved. Hit record again and it starts a new 5 minute loop. As far as where to mount it, I like mine mounted on the driver console, and on top of the motor.
    That is a good idea. I was wondering how to manage the video clips without burning up the store in the card.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    That is a good idea. I was wondering how to manage the video clips without burning up the store in the card.

That is by far the best thing I have figured out with the GoPro. I didn't even know that feature existed for the longest. Makes finding fish catches and editing much easier as well.

6. Member
    I use a collapsible/adjustable cheap ceiling fan duster pole. With a little work you can attach a ball mount to it and your go pro to that. I wrap the bottom with tape until I have a snug fit into my center pedestal seat mount (just in front of the console's. I aim the camera toward the back deck and let it run. Use the phone app for aiming he camera and you may need to widen the lens angle to get the whole back deck. It isn't stable for smooth filming while running but works fine for fishing. If that doesn't work you can mount it to your light pole. I have found that higher angles work better than flat or low angles to get everything into the frame. You can pull some great still shots from what you have filmed as well.

A couple tips -
    Pause the camera right after something happens you want to keep (catching a fish). It will cut your editing time way down, just go to the end of the clip and work backwards until you get to the beginning of the event.
    In the summer your camera will get hot and shut down in the heat of the day.
    The water proof case is terrible for getting sound, if you want audio use a strap/open case.
    Batteries wont last very long, run a USB cable from the GoPro to an accessory plug to keep power going to the camera.
    The higher the resolution and frame rate the more memory it takes up, 720 @30 fps is plenty. Unless you want to do slow motion hook set shots.

Play around with it and enjoy!
    www.Kidsfirstfishing.com
    2010 Bass Cat Puma FTD

Get a battery pack or good quality 12v USB plug and the case to allow yourself to leave it plugged in at all times. That with the biggest SD chip you can stick in there, which is 64gb on most, will allow you to turn the camera on once and forget about it. My buddy has a hero 4 and is constantly screwing with turning the camera on and off to save batteries and misses half of his fish because he forgot to turn it back on. He gets pissy when I don't include many of his fish catches in our tourneys even though it's his down fault lol. Everything I upload is 720p/60fps. 30fps is fine, but I like the 60 so I can slow the video down when something "dramatic" such as a fish jumping happens.

As for positions, I use a gooseneck and suction mount on the console or the motor. When my buddy has his GoPro, I angle one forward and the other towards the motor. Once I get my deck extension built to allow two of us on the front deck at all times, I will end up making or buying one of the rear seat pedestal poles that lets you raise the camera up fairly high and angle down towards the front deck.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

ALWAYS USE A TETHER!!!!!! Lost one Tuesday in 15ft of water.

9. Member
    Jaws clamp on the windshield facing forward if you're both fishing off the front. If you're using a good clamp, it won't come off while running. Some other things I've learned:

If you run it off a 12V port, get a battery eliminator like the Switronix on Amazon. Charging it through the USB port causes the camera to get extremely hot (especially in the waterproof housing). Running it off the battery port helps it run much cooler, so it won't overheat.
    A 64GB card running 1080-30fps will record for about 12-15 hours. Yes, I've done this by experience.
    I set my loop for 15 minutes. It gives me more room for error, and if you find a school of fish and catch one after another, you can get a seamless video of several catches.
    If you run the 12V power, use the remote to start/stop recordings.
    I'm getting a power stick that plugs into the nav light port to get the high shots from the back. I have the short one for the front.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

10. Banned
    Thanks guys. Good tips. I think Im really going to enjoy playing around with this thing. Going to take it out this weekend and pray I don't lose it.

11. Banned
    I got to tale it out this past weekend and got some catches on film. I did notice if I just let to record it was a major pain to find the fish catches. I need to use the loop method to help find the catches. How do you upload the videos on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I got to tale it out this past weekend and got some catches on film. I did notice if I just let to record it was a major pain to find the fish catches. I need to use the loop method to help find the catches. How do you upload the videos on here?
    Use some sort of an editing program to clip the raw footage down to the exact moments you want to share and then upload to YouTube and share the link on here. When I first got a GoPro, I used GoPro Studio. Now I use Cyberlink Powerdirector. When you post the link to the YouTube video, it will embed itself as a video in the post.

For example, this is what shows up when I typed out the post. After I submit the post, the forum software will make it show up as a video instead of just a URL link.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by st041986; 06-19-2018 at 08:31 AM.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

13. Member
    I use 5 minute looping and auxiliary power instead of an extra battery pack.

I also have found Microsoft Windows Movie Maker to be better than the Go Pro app or editing.

As for the battery....I just bought a 15ft usb extension cord and plug it in on my boat so I don’t need to keep changing batteries. It’s a little easier to do on a hero5 that doesn’t require the waterproof case so that tip may not help you out too much.

As as for making videos...I do everything on my cell phone. I’m still getting the hang of it all but here an example of one I recently made.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxcvbnm View Post
    As for the battery....I just bought a 15ft usb extension cord and plug it in on my boat so I don’t need to keep changing batteries. It’s a little easier to do on a hero5 that doesn’t require the waterproof case so that tip may not help you out too much.

As as for making videos...I do everything on my cell phone. I’m still getting the hang of it all but here an example of one I recently made.

Can I ask what programs you are using on your phone? Is it an I phone? Thanks Greg

17. Member
    YouTube is full of videos on the hero 4, on set up , settings to use for different reasons etc.

like someone mentioned above some record in high frames per secound so they can slow it down later for slow motion fish jumping etc.

If you intend to get shots like that shoot it as fast as possible. I am not as familiar with the 4, but I think 720 will do up to 120 FPS, this would give some really good fish jumping slow action.

But over kill for most recording purposes.

I just got a new go pro for Father’s Day, so I will be playing with it soon.

I had the old hero 2 last and it died. So i need to get up to par on using it again.

The free go pro software from their website is decent, and works well for strictly go pro, but mine would not let me import non go pro clips into the video.

I just downloaded the free version of light works to use in a video and it let me stitch together seamlessly clips from my phone and my dslr, but the learning curve is steeped then the go pro software.

I’d start with that.

Quote Originally Posted by GClark519 View Post
    Can I ask what programs you are using on your phone? Is it an I phone? Thanks Greg
    Imovie. Yup iPhone

19. Member
    Here's one with Windows Movie Maker.

So if you do a 5min loop can you save all 5 minutes seemlessly or is it broken up every 1min or 5 mins?

would the 20min loop be better for when it takes over a minute to cast, set the hook and boat a fish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast