Central FL Bite?

Sad to say that I have not been out on the water since Dec 17' and was considering hitting the Winter Haven chain tomorrow morning. Just wondering how the central FL fish bite has been and what seems to be working?

Thanks in advance!
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

Can't speak for Winter Haven chain...but on Harris Chain...summertime pattern is in full effect. Grass lines in early morning, and when the sun gets high look for fish to be hiding under cover.

Haven't been this week yet. Last weekend was the tail end of the bluegill spawn. If you could find bluegill beds, you found gold.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    Mounts ago, enjoyed a worm bite. North of ramps on east side of lake. Just a start at ramps and go north. Good luck.
    Lakeland FL.
    2006 1870 Triton BaySport
    115 Merc. 4/Stroke
    dreamin- Lake Oconee-Retirement.

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Hez, I’m on Harris now. When you say grass lines are you talking about the grass that’s sticking about 2 foot above the water or the hydrilla lines? I found no topwater bites this morning and while I caught a
    couple good fish (one about 6.5) I can’t put a pattern together. Thanks!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    IF you find any grass off shore after they nuked it should be good. The fish are effected by all the spraying the water quality has goon to crap. you will need to find clean water as well. I find Griffin to be better for me.

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    This morning after fishing a 50 acre pad field without a nibble on a spinnerbait, buzzbait, Spro Frog, topwater I turned and threw my worm 40 yards out away from the pads and yep, every time I found hydrilla with the worm I found bass. They were all 1.5-2 pounds...no size. I flipped tall grass till 11 and had one nibble that I missed.

Good thing I’m here til Tuesday cause today there are lots of pleasure boaters out.

Just got back from taking the wife to Hurricanes and eating while checking out the canal, I’m sure I could fish the canal tomorrow but I’d like to find more good fish on Harris or Little Lake Harris.

PascoFishBoy(really should be my name, that’s where I live and all!) is Griffin the same pattern? I really don’t like plunking worms at 6am! I’d like to find some semblance of a topwater bite somewhere even if it’s only til 9am!

Theres enough hydrilla around the opening to Lake Harris Lodge canal that it looks like Lake Panasofkee in the early 90’s! I wonder if the fish are right in front of me?
    Last edited by Casslaw; 07-01-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Hez, I’m on Harris now. When you say grass lines are you talking about the grass that’s sticking about 2 foot above the water or the hydrilla lines? I found no topwater bites this morning and while I caught a
    couple good fish (one about 6.5) I can’t put a pattern together. Thanks!
    Sent PM

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfm56doc View Post
    Sad to say that I have not been out on the water since Dec 17' and was considering hitting the Winter Haven chain tomorrow morning. Just wondering how the central FL fish bite has been and what seems to be working?

Thanks in advance!
    Did you ever make it out? If so, how did you do?
    I have been toying around with different glide baits, and not doing anything to talk about.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 250bassFL View Post
    Did you ever make it out? If so, how did you do?
    I have been toying around with different glide baits, and not doing anything to talk about.

Unfortunately I have not been out on the water. I guess I am a fair weather fisherman and dont look to fishi in the rain, which we have had a ton lately. I am hoping that we will get a break in the weather this week or next weekend and then go out.

FWIW I again pre-flighted the boat this weekend in hope of getting out there.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

I will be headed down to the chain on Thursday or Friday, probably Eustis and Dora/Bueaclair, hope to find some moving water and catch some. Does anyone have any input/advice PM me. This is going to be one of my last trips prior to deploying to CENTCOM.

Spanky

11. Member
    Unfortunately I have not been out on the water. I guess I am a fair weather fisherman and dont look to fishi in the rain, which we have had a ton lately. I am hoping that we will get a break in the weather this week or next weekend and then go out.

FWIW I again pre-flighted the boat this weekend in hope of getting out there.
    I know what you mean. That is why I haven't been out in weeks. Look at weather predictions and see thunderstorm chances pretty high early, and say the heck with it. Hope you get out soon. I know I want to.

12. Member
    Going out this morning until about 11:30 so I can get home before the 2pm showers arrive. If I hook something, great. Heck at this point I just want to burn the gas out of the boat and pull it for the first time with our new to us vehicle.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

13. Member
    Going out this morning until about 11:30 so I can get home before the 2pm showers arrive. If I hook something, great. Heck at this point I just want to burn the gas out of the boat and pull it for the first time with our new to us vehicle.
    Good luck. I am standing outside this church off Van Dyke Rd. Waiting for the Superintendent to unlock the job.

14. Member
    Good thing a bad day on the water beats a good day at work. Not a single bite, but still glad I was able to burn off some gas.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S