Vault Hub Grease Cap Removal

2009 Ranger Dual Axle.

Any advice on getting the cap off? Rubber mallet? It should be reusable right? They are 9 years old - no known issues, but I’d like to inspect before going on a 500 mile round trip.

Thanks
    tim

2. Member
    I think you should read this before you start. I'm sure there are members with enough experience to do this without this reference but it's a good read.

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/blog...ication-system

3. Member
    I had that system on my 188vs and to answer your question, mine unscrewed. Note: Do not over tighten, the caps are plastic of some kind and will crack. Need I tell you how I know that...

4. Member
    Thanks. I have read those. I want to check them because the “button” isn’t sticking out as far as I have read they should, but no obvious leaking that I can see. Prior to a long trip and given that I am at 9years without the warranty, I prefer to be safe!

Thanks,
    tim

5. Member
    I used a block of wood and hard mallet. Use red lock tight when putting back on.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    I used a block of wood and hard mallet. Use red lock tight when putting back on.
    I don't think red loctite is a sealant, but if it worked for you O.K.

7. Member
    Loctite is whats recommended, red.

8. Member
    Last edited by billproxs; 06-16-2018 at 06:34 AM.

9. Member
    Indeed it's included in that kit. I was just leaning toward the manufacturer, probably in error:

Add Hybrid Oil Lubricant to the inside of the VAULT protector. Apply a thin film of Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker to the bore surface. Install the protector with a soft mallet until the shoulder seats against the hub nose.
    OIL SEALS

10. Member
    Add a slight flim of RTV silicone to rear bore and rear seal, before driving seal in. Apply Loctite retaining compound to shoulder of front Vault protector, then install.

11. Member
    Thanks for the info. For what it is worth, I had emailed the company(UFP) and they recommended LocTite.

Actually, their first response was to not do anything and any leaks would be obvious. Before a long trip, I’d prefer to be sure...

thanks
    tim

12. Member
    I have complete videos on utube fishing showing complete vault precedure.

13. Member
    Just an update: Pulled the cap off one wheel tonight. Grease was dripping out. The stuff in the hub was a little runnier and greener in color than the tube. The cap was still full too. My hub DID have the hole for a grease fitting so I gently added some and also replaced the majority that was in the cap. All in all relatively pleased with the condition for a 9 year old trailer, although it is very low mileage.

The wheel spun freely when jacked up. Just and occasional sound from rotor to pad. Torn if I should replace the actuator inner member or not...

Thanks for the help and videos. I will do the others in a couple days.