Water pump "O" ring ?

Bought the kit...5001594. I'm at the part where instructions say install a "new impeller O ring" over the driveshaft and slide it down to midway of the impeller key to hold the key in place. The kit came with a stapled packet which includes shorter bolts, impeller key & an O ring. Is this the O ring being referred to ? I assume it is but it really doesn't seem large enough to seal anything. I have one fatter O ring left in the kit which fits the impeller recess perfectly but adds about 1/10" to impeller thickness , seems like too much clearance for the bolts to pull the housing down to the plate. Evinrude E150STLESB, Thanks.

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The o ring must be squeezed to seal.....

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You use the fatter one to hold the key in place on the drive shaft you then slide the impeller down and over the key and slide the assembly down to the wear plate. The thin O ring goes between the impeller cup and housing. Once you have the impeller installed in the housing and the housing attached to the motor, You give the drive shaft a 1/4 turn while lifting up this seats the impeller in the housing. Tighten the bolts in an X pattern. Lightly grease the splines on the drive shaft with the grease provided in the kit but don't coat the very top of the drive shaft you could possibly cause Hydro Lock between the drive shaft and crank shaft. The brown O ring gets installed on the upper end of the driveshaft just below the splines.
    This link may help you out http://bassboatcentral.com/johnrudetips.htm

4. Member
    Sorry about the delayed response, finally got back to working on the pump & got it assembled as it should be. I think going by the instructions included with the kit is a little misguided. It said to place the O ring midway of the key to hold it in place while sliding the assembly down to engage it. I think in that process the O ring may or may not land properly in the impeller groove. Much better to do as described in the link above and place the O ring at the bottom of the shaft to begin with. ..a dab of grease behind the key and slim screw driver to hold it in place while working it down. Thank guys for the input.