Engine Builder / Tech / Mechanic

I would like to hear from any that build or has build outboard engines .
    I have a question for them .

Let's say a very low hour engine ,that sit up and put back in service and a injector lean out one hole .
    I have got a answer that he, would just clean it up and replace the one cylinder /sleeve and replace that one piston and install the old ones and install all new rings and gasket and bolts.

Had one said he would replace all piston and rings and ect . I was just wondering why you get the two difference answer . I do know they are two difference people ....but ????? The old ones look like new and very low hours let's say around 10-15 ?

Was just thinking why they both , go difference ways of rebuild them ????
    Thx
    Last edited by rchavis; 06-14-2018 at 08:43 PM.

I've done both ways over the years. I think one reason for replacing all is so they are the same manufacturer and the weight the same. The last Mercury I rebuilt I replaced all. My Johnson before I bought Mercs I replaced the piston only and bored the one cyl. I might would do the 1 cyl if all the others were not worn

3. Member
    Repairing a motor can get expensive. I believe you can send your computer and injectors off to get them checked so it doesn't happen again. If the boat has set for a long time there could be a fuel issue.

4. Member
    The engine sounds to be in very good condition except for the damaged cylinder. Replacing it with an over sized piston would not cause a problem as they are made to be the same weight as the OEM piston and not cause a balance problem. This isn't a rebuild but a repair. Very few people actually do a rebuild they replace piston and rings and call it that reusing many components that should be replaced when doing a complete rebuild.

myself if I have to rebuild a motor I am putting all new parts in it, yo much work to patch something up, just my 2 cents

6. Member
    k
    Last edited by rao; 07-05-2018 at 11:00 PM.

I did one hole myself on a 225 Ficht I had. The cylinder wall was not too bad. Figured I had nothing to lose. Honed the one cylinder to max. Did not clean up 100% but pretty close. Lasted 300 hours. It can be done but may not last as long as doing it right.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

8. Member
    Every engine builder has there own way of doing things. Without actually seeing the motor it is hard to say but either way all cylinders gone thru are just fix the one I have done both.

1 was is a cheaper fix, and one is an experienced more expensive fix. Second guy knows more. Regardless of hours it’s best to replace all while you’re in there. Start over fresh with every cylinder on the same page. Not saying the other won’t work, but your second guy sounds more experienced and qualified to me.

And if you got a 3rd opinion that said “I’ll run every cylinder to clean up and install new pistons and rings and send out all of the old injectors to have them cleaned”, he’d be even smarter and you’ve found your mechanic. Breaking down a motor is expensive and time consuming regardless if it is high or low hours and wear and number 2 gets that, so set yourself up with the best possible scenario for success to not have to do it again on another cylinder, even if that is 1 year down the road or 5.

One is trying to save you money now and the other is trying to save you money later by spending a tad more now.

If you're going to tear it down replace one cylinder why not spend the extra money in parts and replace all the components in the rotating assembly? I've rebuilt a lot of engines and when it comes down to it your already 90% there the rest is not that much money$ fix it right and be done with it and have peace of mind that it was done right

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    If you're going to tear it down replace one cylinder why not spend the extra money in parts and replace all the components in the rotating assembly? I've rebuilt a lot of engines and when it comes down to it your already 90% there the rest is not that much money$ fix it right and be done with it and have peace of mind that it was done right
    Agreed. 100%

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    Yup!