Ultrex Spot Lock

Love the trolling motor, but when the spot lock is engaged, if the boat is still moving forward or if the water is really calm, the trolling motor head will turn clockwise and the kick the spot lock off. I have to manually get the boat stopped and then engage the spot lock.

2. Member
    Make sure you used the correct mounting bolts for the pedal, if they are not counter sunk or if they stick up at all they will kick spot lock off. the motor most likely uses an over current switch to detect any pressure on the pedal. I've also had the velcro strap get under the pedal and kick it out of spot lock

it has done that to me also , it's trying to go back to GPS spot then kicks out.

4. Member
    You cant be on speed 10 and hit spot lock and think it going to stop you on a dime...
    2015 189 trx

5. Member
    Mine started doing the same thing a couple of days ago. Pedal is mounted solid. Can’t figure it out

The Spot Lock is trying to go to the spot when you hit the button. If you're moving at a medium to fast when you hit the button it will spin all the way around to try to go BACK to where you were, try slowing or stopping before you hit the button.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Banned
    I always stop before hitting spot lock. That’ll keep it from trying to back you up

8. Member
    Just something to check, I have a 24v Terrova. Started having spot lock problems. It would just kick off, not hold. just strange things. Pulled the batteries apart one had 9 volts one 13 after charging 24 hours. Charger showed nothing. I still can't believe my batteries were that bad. New batteries, no more problems!

noticing that you have to be pretty much at a dead stop or close to that.....then you hit the spot lock

10. Member
    Does it beep 3 or 4 times when it kicks itself off spot lock? This is usually caused by three things:

1 - something under the foot pedal so it can't get full travel
    2 - motor not indexed properly (see install manual for how to index)
    3 - cables (like external ducer) causing a bind so motor can't turn

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTN View Post
    Does it beep 3 or 4 times when it kicks itself off spot lock? This is usually caused by three things:

1 - something under the foot pedal so it can't get full travel
    2 - motor not indexed properly (see install manual for how to index)
    3 - cables (like external ducer) causing a bind so motor can't turn
    yep. Double check that none of these are the culprit.
    Last edited by squib; 06-17-2018 at 11:18 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    You cant be on speed 10 and hit spot lock and think it going to stop you on a dime...
    Do you really think I wouldn’t realize that? The boat can be stopped and if the trolling motor head has to turn all the way to the right to back up the spot lock will kick off. I assume it needs to be indexed. Doesn’t sound very easy to do when I glanced at the manual .

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    Do you really think I wouldn’t realize that? The boat can be stopped and if the trolling motor head has to turn all the way to the right to back up the spot lock will kick off. I assume it needs to be indexed. Doesn’t sound very easy to do when I glanced at the manual .
    Sounds like you have something restricting the motor when it tries to turn all the way around. Check any cables that are wrapping the shaft as well as something hitting the footopedal or restricting the footpedal travel.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]