Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

"Cheapest" Glass rod....for reaction baits

I was planning to order the Powell Inferno 755 Glass rod....but its out of stock at TW...and powell. Was thinking of upgrading to the Powell Endurance Glass rod...but its $140+25 shipping. I was trying to stay as close to a 100 dollar bill as possible (inferno was $109 w/free shipping at TW).

Im just getting into "expensive" rods.....basically been running walmart and academy <$50 rods up till this year. So dont roast me for picking the cheaper options....ill eventually get to buying the dobyns champion and G. Loomis rods....but for now im sticking to the fury series! Plus...its also my first glass rod....so this is more a trial phase, and if I even kinda like it...then Ill think about saving up for those higher end glass rods that may be out there.

You can have one of the Wright & McGill Skeet Reese cranking rods for cheap, though they're decidedly pretty noodly. To be fair, pure glass rods in general are pretty noodly.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    There is one for bid on ebay

4. Member
    Powell and Dobyns rods are glass composite

5. Member
    https://alxrods.com/product/hustler/
    be careful though once you try ALX you may change your mind about Dobyns, at least I did. You can get this rod a little cheaper and free shipping, good luck.

6. Member
    Sometimes you can find good deals on quantum kvd rods which are glass. The Wight and McGill ones are noodly as all get out but cheap. Also if you can find the old rick clunn glass rods

7. Member
    BPS crankin stick is also an option. St Croix used to make some very affordable glass rods, not sure if the still do.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Rapsody rods, their Hot Rod series has 2 (Crank it up is 7'4" and Cranky is 7'2"). They're $99. Built on Rod Geeks S-glass blanks (S-glass with a composite butt end). Fuji seats and Kigan guides. Probably won't find a better one for $99 IMO. I build all my glass rods with the Rod Geeks blanks.

9. Member
    To stay within the $100 price range the skeet Reese cranking rods are great. Sometimes you can find a quantum kvd cranking rod for about $100 on sale
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Scraps
    You kin git the Inferno and Endurance direct from Powell right now at 25% off with code "wesley25." Also check the site for closeouts. If not, let me know, I have two 3D 755's I'd let go for like $120 TYD.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysfishing View Post
    There is one for bid on ebay
    Im scared to buy used rods.....and the only reason im jumping up and upgrading my rods is because of the warranties the company offers. Dobyns and powell both have good ones from what ive read....and dealt with. Had a dobyns snap on my first trip out....sent it back, and got a brand new one no charge! makes me feel good about using them....money well spent.

Powell and Dobyns rods are glass composite
    I have the fury and am a big fan.....once im a little better off financially and can buy 5-6 high end sticks.....most of them are prolly gonna be dobyns! Had that really good experience with them i mentioned...so that definitely helped the cause.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    You can have one of the Wright & McGill Skeet Reese cranking rods for cheap, though they're decidedly pretty noodly. To be fair, pure glass rods in general are pretty noodly.
    I dont remember 100%...but i think I got my hands on one of those at either dicks or gander when they were going out of business....and I didnt like it and the noodly feel you mention.....that actually turned me off glass rods! im just getting my interest back up in them for curiosity sake.....and also because I just bought a Dobyns Colt in MH for cranking....that I think will serve better as a multipurpose rod (I only carry 4 rods, and 1 fairy wand on my boat....small tracker)...so figure it cant hurt to get another cranking/reaction stick to alternate with my duckett crank rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantman83 View Post
    Sometimes you can find good deals on quantum kvd rods which are glass. The Wight and McGill ones are noodly as all get out but cheap. Also if you can find the old rick clunn glass rods
    what company made the rick clunn rods....i love older gear. I got an old heavy pinnacle reel with brass looking/or actual brass handles that i like to toss....I call it my armageddon reel cuz it looks like itll survive! lol

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    To stay within the $100 price range the skeet Reese cranking rods are great. Sometimes you can find a quantum kvd cranking rod for about $100 on sale
    ive seen the quantums for $100 before....shouldve pulled the trigger! Ill keep looking...not in a super rush.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    BPS crankin stick is also an option. St Croix used to make some very affordable glass rods, not sure if the still do.
    Ive heard mixed things on BPS sticks....and I think I wanna try them before buying. Ive tried some of the cabelas rods....and meh....but ive heard good things about the carbonlite and other rods. Didnt find anything in my price range for st croix....sadly

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Rapsody rods, their Hot Rod series has 2 (Crank it up is 7'4" and Cranky is 7'2"). They're $99. Built on Rod Geeks S-glass blanks (S-glass with a composite butt end). Fuji seats and Kigan guides. Probably won't find a better one for $99 IMO. I build all my glass rods with the Rod Geeks blanks.
    whats their warranty like? thats huge for a cheap guy like me! lol

This seems just like my zone.....prolly a REAL good company, whos doesnt pour the money into marketing so isnt too well known...so stuff still at a good price for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    You kin git the Inferno and Endurance direct from Powell right now at 25% off with code "wesley25." Also check the site for closeouts. If not, let me know, I have two 3D 755's I'd let go for like $120 TYD.
    They gave me a promo code too...and I was actually ordering it. But then the $25 shipping hit me, and nerfed the discount. Im spoiled by TW and amazon free shipping! lol

15. Banned
    I think I got everyone!! lol

thanks guys....looking them all up!

16. Member
    It is not used it is new
    Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    Im scared to buy used rods.....and the only reason im jumping up and upgrading my rods is because of the warranties the company offers. Dobyns and powell both have good ones from what ive read....and dealt with. Had a dobyns snap on my first trip out....sent it back, and got a brand new one no charge! makes me feel good about using them....money well spent.

I have the fury and am a big fan.....once im a little better off financially and can buy 5-6 high end sticks.....most of them are prolly gonna be dobyns! Had that really good experience with them i mentioned...so that definitely helped the cause.

17. Member
    Fenwick LunkerStik is a good option.

18. Banned
    It is not used it is new
    am I bidding against you? If I am....im actually not bidding at all and just trying to mess with you and have no interest in that product.

I definitely did not search ebay for the rod, and find it...and am now eyeing it like a hawk....if youre bidding!

If youre not bidding....good looking out, and thanks! I definitely searched ebay for the rod, found it....and am now eyeing it like a hawk! LMAO

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M1RT View Post
    Fenwick LunkerStik is a good option.
    i can talk about crankbaits and other baits all day....but im not the sharpest when it comes to rods. The fenwick says it has a carbon fiber core and the glass shell.....is that how all glass rods are? I assumed they were full fiberglass instead of layered shells.....ASSumed is prolly the keyword in that last sentence though. They sell them at Cabelas so I can buy their warranty if it gets to that point since the price is right.

20. Member
    I'm not bidding on it. I was just trying to help you out
    Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    am I bidding against you? If I am....im actually not bidding at all and just trying to mess with you and have no interest in that product.

I definitely did not search ebay for the rod, and find it...and am now eyeing it like a hawk....if youre bidding!

If youre not bidding....good looking out, and thanks! I definitely searched ebay for the rod, found it....and am now eyeing it like a hawk! LMAO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast