Pantera Classic Prop Question

Looking to do a repower of my 2004 Pantera Classic with one of the new Mercury 4 stroke ProXS motors. What prop do you think will perform well with that setup?

2. Banned
    Dad's 94 Classic did well with a 25" trophy. I have a 2016 Sabre FTD with the standard 4-stroke that has a 1.92 gear ratio and 5900 limiter that I've turned a 24" Fury to 66 with. Our weights our about the same, but the Pro XS has a 2.08 gear ratio and a 6100rpm limit like the Suzuki Bass 150 on the old classic we had so I'd go with a 25". I've run a Tempest, Trophy and Fury on my Sabre and prefer the Trophy all around and it actually turned the least rpm's surprisingly out of the three 24" props at the same engine heights/speed, hope that helps.

3. Member
    If your goin with a 200 and that low end torque is as advertised, I can’t imagine you wouldn’t be able to spin up a 27 trophy without a problem- I’ve got an 04 classic with a 200 3L EFI and run that prop and it’s money although solo in the winter it’s common to hit the limiter-

4. Banned
    I made the assumption he was talking about the new 150hp 3.0L 4 cylinder pro XS, if you go with a 175hp 3.4L V6 it comes with a 1.85:1 gear and 6000 rpm limit, the 200hp 4.6L V8 comes with a 1.85:1 standard though Torque Master 1.75:1 is optional. With a 6200rpm limit and upper 70s potential on your light hull it's going to be a rocket. Use the calculator below to figure out what pitch, hope that helps. What outboard, prop, pitch, rpm, speed do you currently turn?
    http://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-slip-calculator/

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuna View Post
    Looking to do a repower of my 2004 Pantera Classic with one of the new Mercury 4 stroke ProXS motors. What prop do you think will perform well with that setup?
    You probably will be one of the first to get one so no one really knows. Going to be interesting to see what numbers you get.

6. Member
    I am getting the 200 hp motor.

7. Member
    Also, currently running a 2.5L EFI 200 hp motor. It has a 25 trophy on it now... I am thinking that I will need to get a bigger prop. I am more concerned with a good hole shot and not eeking out every last mph on the top end.

8. Member
    I have tried both. On my 08 classic, the 26p Fury 3-blade is the hands down winner, hole shot, midrange and top end. Came with a 25 Trophy that is OK. Pain to load on trailer with the trophy, and at least a couple of miles per hour short of the Fury 3-blade on top end. It is sitting in my 26p Fury box right now although I doubt it ever goes back on the boat. Really hard to beat the 3-blade fury on this hull. A Merc Lightning ET will run a tad faster, but hole shot is really bad. Have yet to find a condition where the fury won't work. with 3 adults @ over 600 pounds it still jumps out of the hole and runs past 70 easily...

On a 2.5 block the fury will likely be too much... but on the 3.0's, it runs.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuna View Post
    Also, currently running a 2.5L EFI 200 hp motor. It has a 25 trophy on it now... I am thinking that I will need to get a bigger prop. I am more concerned with a good hole shot and not eeking out every last mph on the top end.
    Well if you are trying to eek out every last bit of the best possible hole shot the Fury 4 might help.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    I have tried both. On my 08 classic, the 26p Fury 3-blade is the hands down winner, hole shot, midrange and top end. Came with a 25 Trophy that is OK. Pain to load on trailer with the trophy, and at least a couple of miles per hour short of the Fury 3-blade on top end. It is sitting in my 26p Fury box right now although I doubt it ever goes back on the boat. Really hard to beat the 3-blade fury on this hull. A Merc Lightning ET will run a tad faster, but hole shot is really bad. Have yet to find a condition where the fury won't work. with 3 adults @ over 600 pounds it still jumps out of the hole and runs past 70 easily...

On a 2.5 block the fury will likely be too much... but on the 3.0's, it runs.
    Do you run the exhaust ring on the Trophy by chance?

11. Member
    No I did not. I ran it as it came, which was just the bare trophy plus 25p. But having run all sorts of boats over the years, I have always been a diehard 3 blade prop person (cue BCB and their elephant ear comment about me. :) hint: think "choppers"). The trophy just lacked bottom end grunt, a complaint I have heard from several on the owner's forum. I know some don't like the Fury-3 props (although usually talking about something other than the pantera hull variants), but I am a huge fan. Current prop is 2 years old and still running as well as it did when I bought it new, and I have put about 200 hours on the motor with that prop.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200