AGM vs lead batteries

Is it worth paying an additional 40 - 50% for AGM batteries for trolling? I got 4 years out of my lead batteries last time and I need 3 new ones.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    AGMs are lead batteries. They differ from conventional flooded cell batteries in the way the electrolyte is contained within the battery. The advantages are longer life, faster charging and better tolerance of abuse. IMO, only the Sam’s Duracell 31 is worth the AGM premium. Other AGM batteries are 3 times the price of an equivalent flooded cell battery and it would be rare to get double the life out of them.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I had 4 Blue Top Group 31 Optima batteries for 8 years and only one failed after 7 years. Probably still working but I traded the boat in for a new one. Always kept them charged and I really liked them. That was before they changed ownership!

John

4. Member
    I like the flooded batteries for a trolling motor and the AGM for the cranking. The reason is the discharge curve and how the battery seems to delivery it's power.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    John, Thanks for your response. What AGM battery do you recommend for a Yamaha 200 EFI, 2 Hummingbird 999si and the livewell pumps?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avid fisherman View Post
    Is it worth paying an additional 40 - 50% for AGM batteries for trolling? I got 4 years out of my lead batteries last time and I need 3 new ones.
    No, not worth it. My wet cells work every day and my buddies AGMs work every day. I paid around $100 per battery, he paid around $250 per battery. Both do the same thing and neither of us had problems other than I am about $400 cheaper.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avid fisherman View Post
    John, Thanks for your response. What AGM battery do you recommend for a Yamaha 200 EFI, 2 Hummingbird 999si and the livewell pumps?
    In my opinion, the best "deal" on an AGM is the Sams Duracell. Not only is if affordable, it is made by East Penn (DEKA) and has the power to run the accessories and start the outboard.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Would the Duracell lead batteries be by Deka also????
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

John, whats the difference in AGM and No-Maintenance battery ??
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Would the Duracell lead batteries be by Deka also????
    yes
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    John, whats the difference in AGM and No-Maintenance battery ??
    Depends on what you're referring to as "no maintenance". If you're talking about a lead acid, there is usually caps under the decoration plaque (decal) to open and add water. If you're talking about a Gel, then it's two different methods of using electrolyte. An AGM (absorbed glass mat) uses a type of mat, soaked in electrolyte then placed tightly together instead of using a sulfuric liquid mixture in the cells. In the case of an Optima, the mats are rolled and placed in the cells. They are also maintenance free batteries.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    yes
    Thanks.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

13. Member
    The AGM batteries don't give off corrosive gas when charged so everything in battery compartment stays cleaner. I bought 4 Duracell Marine group 31's and the cranking battery lasted 6 years and the trolling motor batteries are still going strong. They are worth every penny long term. Just charge them as soon as you get home!

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FM350V View Post
    The AGM batteries don't give off corrosive gas when charged so everything in battery compartment stays cleaner. I bought 4 Duracell Marine group 31's and the cranking battery lasted 6 years and the trolling motor batteries are still going strong. They are worth every penny long term. Just charge them as soon as you get home!
    Batteries only vent acid when there is a problem, and an AGM can do it too.
    nothing else matters.​

15. Member
    What is the best type charger to use on AGM batteries? I believe I've heard it takes at least a 10 amp charger.

16. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    What is the best type charger to use on AGM batteries? I believe I've heard it takes at least a 10 amp charger.
    Depends on the particular battery. AGMs are voltage sensitive, and some recommend 40A. Some also say no more than 10A
    nothing else matters.​

I've been using Cabelas AGM's for my trolling motor (2 X Group 27) and starting / accessories (Group 30) for over 5 years, and I'll never go back to flooded batteries. Both will last all day. I'm probably going to try the Duracell AGM's from Sam's Club when I need to replace. I'm using the Minn Kota 330 charger and I leave it hooked up in the storage facility where I keep the boat - Don't have to worry about water level in the battery - a big plus as far as I'm concerned.

18. Member
    I have the agm Duracell 31's on my Terrova and do a lot of what I call high speed trolling, running @ 1.5mph which puts me @50 power on the Terrova. I can get around 8 hours out of my 24v Terrova before I see any change in the batteries running down. That's constant on for that amount of time and running the pc345 charger.

19. Member
    Run time is determined by Reserve Capacity, not the type (wet vs AGM) of battery.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Run time is determined by Reserve Capacity, not the type (wet vs AGM) of battery.
    You are correct but at same time if my battery (wet or AGM) doesn't perform to my needs it isn't worth having!!!!!!! RC on that AGM 31 is 200 and I don't have any complaints about running AGM on my TM.