Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Got a new to me Triton SP185 w/ 90Etec, doesn’t run well need help!

Hello all and thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I just got this 06 Triton SP185. It’s rated for a 115 but has an 06 Evinrude Etec 90 on it. It comes out of the hole and on plane very well and very quickly. Problem is that I can’t trim it much before the boat starts to porpoise and the prop starts slipping.

It will run run up to 5500rpm and 42 on the gps but I feel the prop is wrong. It has the stock aluminum 13.25” 17 pitch prop on it and the motor is mounted on the second hole.

Question is, what props do you guys with 18 foot aluminum bass rigs with 90s on the back run? I don’t want to just guess and buy a 13.5 by 18 Raker and hope it’s right! Thanks for any help, Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    Sounds close for a 90.

3. Member
    Aluminum boat will not need lots of trim, about 1/4 on the trim gauge is what mine likes.

4. Member
    That hull design is not a speed hull by any means. You're running at the top of the rpm range and close to top speed for that combination. If it jumps out of the hole very quickly, you could try a larger pitch prop and get a little more top end but less of a hole shot. There is no stock prop from the outboard manufacturer on most if not all outboards 40hp and larger, up to the dealer or boat manufacturer to install one.

5. Banned
    Sounds like it's running alot better than "doesn't run well"!

6. Member
    That is normal and that is about all that boat will run wide open throttle. Also, most of those style boats don't like too much trim. Anything about 3/4 trim and it usually will start to porpoise. Do you have any steering torque at higher speeds? My firend had an Express XP180 with a 90HP Yamaha and all it would run was 40 MPH with the wind at our backs. I think you're doing real good and that is a sharp looking boat. Congratulations!

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks everyone, maybe I’m just used to fiberglass boats! It does run great getting up to speed, I thought there was an issue because I can’t use all of my trim...live and learn. Do most of you stick with aluminum props or step up to SS? Right now it’s a 13.25” 17p. I see that that Evinrude makes a raker prop that is a 13.5” 18p which would sacrifice some holeshot and maybe add some top end. I didn’t get the boat to be a speed freak, just want to optimize what I have.

And also thanks, the boat is in great shape, only has 122 hours on the motor before I got it. It fishes great too. I’m thinking about the Lowrance Hook2 Splitshot 7 for up front. The little Lowrance X52 in the dash is toast and not sure what can fill that little spot. Have to do some searching, then settle on a shallow water anchor.

Ill get her exactly like like I want her and this board is helping a lot so thanks again.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Running 42 is pretty darn good on an 18. 3 cylinder 90HP ETEC turns 5500, so the 17 is the right pitch. A semi-vee hull is very trim sensitive. My 188 runs 46.............
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Sorry, I forgot to answer crappielabrador’s question...no there doesn’t seem to be any noticeable torque steer at any speed or trim location with the boat. The only reason I was considering moving to 18pitch in stainless is because I thought aluminum props lose some pitch at higher rpms because of the fact they’re made out of aluminum.

Like I said before it jumps on plane...I’d say 3 to 3.5 seconds. I’ve never had a motor under a 150 so this was impressive to me. From what I can find it seems the hull weight is 1150 pounds. I don’t know much of Triton’s aluminum history but I can’t find much about this boat no matter how much I search.

10. Member
    I’d see if you get a suggestion on a prop here, if not contact Mark at Marks Prop and see what he suggest. Him or ole Championman will have a good suggestion. There’s always calling Triton and asking them.

There doesn’t sound like anything wrong. I never trim my 188 more than half, normally closer to 1/4. As far as trim it’s nothing like a glass sled where you throttle down and trim to the limiter while you steer. Note I didn’t save drive. First time you’re in really rough water in that boat you’ll need to drive it. You should find it responds well to throttle and steering inputs compared to the glass sled. Run the aluminum prop until you get some good intel on a SS if you want one. I wouldn’t expect much more than 42 mph.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks for all of the responses. I plan on taking a 5 day trip to either the Kissimmee Chain, Harris Chain, or Lake Toho the end of June so I will get much more real seat time then as compared to 5 minute bursts around the smaller lakes around a Wesley Chapel where I live. On the first 3 trips the oil nor gas tank have moved one bit! This baby sips gas and the oil usage is nothing like my last 2005 150 Merc.

This is weekend I might have to keep her home and put some real electronics on her! I really like the Hook2 Splitshot7 that was recommended by a member here, but I don’t want the little Lowrance X52 staying in the console being useless. Time to shop!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I've have a 90 hp motor on my RT188 so we have pretty similar set ups in design and weight and you are very close to optimum. I can run 43 mph by myself in cool water and cool weather 44 is definitely achievable. I would recommend a stainless prop for less flex and possibly moving your motor up by 1 hole (where are you at now?). As mentioned by other folks, this type of hull doesn't take much trim, adding some cup by Croxton on a stainless prop can get you a bit more trim. BTW, I don't have a trim gauge and find little need for one. I have always trimmed by feel, it's pretty obvious when you have it on the sweet spot.
    Last edited by tcesni; 06-15-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    tvesni, thanks for your input. I do have a trim gauge but I have always trimmed based on feel and sound. I do keep an eye on the tach but that’s about it. It’s mounted on the second hole currently which seems to be the consensus. My local marinas have plenty of props to try if I had a 150-250hp but they don’t have a lot of 13.5” SS props laying around.

My problem lies with coming from a fiberglass boat where I planted the hot foot and hit up on the trim gauge til it topped out, these aluminum hulls simply aren’t driven this way as I’m learning. I am putting some electronics on her this weekend so I’ll keep searching for a SS prop in 17 or 18p to try. Thanks again.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I think the 18" SS prop is what you need, is 5500 rpm your recommended maximum? One thing about living in Florida is that you don't have as much weather variability since it is relatively warm year round.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

15. Member
    4 blade!!!!

Pop

16. Member
    Yep. Driving my tin rig compared to my bass rig-two different animals. I can only get a couple of clicks on the trim on my tin rig before it’s starts to hop. My bass rig likes full trim. And like others have said, trim is by feel. The trim gauge has been out in my bass rig for years-never needed it after I got used to how the boat feels. By the way, great looking rig.

17. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies. I am thinking an 18 pitch in a 13.25-13.5” is what the boat will like the best, just need to find one that won’t break the bank! Since the boat runs so well now I will concentrate on the electronics and SWA first but I’m keeping an eye out for a prop to try. And he’s 5500 rpm is the recommended max and the boat does run right there unless I over trim it.
    Last edited by Casslaw; 06-16-2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Left out rpm.