2005 225 Optimax - Cooling Problems, Stalling Problems, and more.

Serial Number 1B043996

The current symptoms: Water pressure lower than normal by a couple of pounds, can't quite trim motor up as high as I would like due to water pressure. Water temperature too low, around 85F at idle and 113 at WOT, via Smartcraft gauge. Engine cutting out at low rpm, once shifting into reverse gear from neutral and twice while in the forward gear at idle and bumping into the bottom (silted in creek entrances on the ohio).

The Saga: About a month ago, I fished the ohio and got some debris in the nose cone and likely other places. Water Pressure was lower than normal, but not horrible and I continued to fish, just not trimming up as much and kept a close eye on my Smartcraft. Seemingly unrelated, the diaphragm on the Air Fuel Regulator ( I think, its the top regulator shaped thing on the port fuel rail) failed, engine was dead in the water. While at the boat ramp investigating this issue, I also took the opportunity to inspect the thermostats. No debris found, the old gaskets were splitting and rotted. The water intake screen was also clear of debris. Only other weird thing was I found three 10mm bolt heads in the lower cowling. I did not see any obvious place for these to go. This was over memorial day weekend with all the shops closed, so I flushed the engine the best I could with earmuffs and a hose. I was able to knock some debris back into the nose cone and pick that out with tweezers. I hooked the hose up to the rear flush port and at first flow to the LU was poor, but something must have broken free and flow improved drastically. I was unable to locate the debris from the blockage so it may have remained in the LU. I thought that the WP issue was mostly fixed and now I just need and AFR diaphragm

I took it to an authorized Merc repair location and they replaced the AFR diaphragm, and found that my fuel pumps weren't outputting enough pressure and replaced those as well. They also put new gaskets in the thermostat housings for me.

I took it for its first drive on Sunday, and I have some new issues and an old one (see current symptoms above). I have reinspected the Thermostats, and they again look fine. I also checked the poppet valve and it was clear of debris but the rubber diaphragm was splitting. The only other weird thing I noticed was a missing zip tie (fancy rounded one) on the water line to the port fuel rail. Pic attached.

I have contacted the repair location but I wanted to get some second opinions on potential causes for the symptoms.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Check for water coming out of the thermostat dump hoses, when the motor is FIRST started. Report results.

3. Member
    Will do tonight, thanks.

Out of curiosity, how does the poppet valve work? It's not clear to me exactly what the diaphragm is for, since it seems like no pressure can be applied to the side with the screw in it.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Poppet valve opens at approximately 6.5 psi, allowing a straight-through flow of water for higher-RPM operation.

Better check the Air Compressor Pulley bolts. Those may be the heads from the bolts....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Check for water coming out of the thermostat dump hoses, when the motor is FIRST started. Report results.
    No water from dump hose.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Poppet valve opens at approximately 6.5 psi, allowing a straight-through flow of water for higher-RPM operation.

Better check the Air Compressor Pulley bolts. Those may be the heads from the bolts....
    Well that can't be good, will check those bolts out immediately.

7. Member
    Following Savage's advice, I did some testing. Prior to the testing, I noticed an electrical connection that was undone and reconnected it. (Not sure if I knocked it loose taking the cowling off or if it has been like that) Photo below from the port side of the engine. I put it all back together and cranked it with earmuffs on, looking for water coming out of the thermostat dump hoses. No water came out at all initially, so I waited to see if engine would get up to temp. It went all the way to 135F before I shut it down (40 seconds or so). I wasn't sure I had put the poppet valve together correctly, so I double checked it. It was in the correct orientation but I had somehow wedged the valve into the rubber seat ring and gotten it got cocked. Put it together correctly this time and tried again. Engine came up to 123F, and just stayed there. Still no water out of the thermostats.

Does this make any sense? Seems like it might actually be working? My operating theory is that I somehow put too much pressure on the poppet valve while trying to clear out debris from the cooling system and got it stuck in the wide open position. When I removed it for the first time it did take some force to remove the poppet valve. When I took it apart I freed the valve and when I finally installed it correctly, it seems to be working. I do need to replace the poppet valve assembly soft goods since they are old and tired, will be ordering a kit soon to make the repair official.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Images Attached Images

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Replace poppet components and make sure it slides in and out of the seat "like it was buttered". Zero effort should be required to get the valve to move in and out of the grommet/seat (further pushing compresses the spring, which obviously requires pressure).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Will do, it definitely doesn't work freely now. Thanks!