New Setup Question

After much debate and consideration I decided to replace my old electronics with Garmin. I ordered 2 Echomap Plus 93SVs along with the Garmin GCV20 UHD black box w/ transducer and an Ultrex TM.

A few questions...
    Does the UHD box / transducer only do SI/DI or does it support CHIRP sonar / water temp also? Trying to find out if I need to install the stock CV transducer along with the GT UHD transducer on the transom.

Will both screens get networked directly to the UHD black box instead of directly to each other? I ordered 2 Garmin network cables.

The 93SV includes the necessary components to mount one of the CV transducers to the Ultrex, correct?

Any other install considerations to be aware of?
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Here's what i think and someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

The UHD will only down/side vu. It does not contain regular sonar. To get sonar you will need to get a regular sonar ducer, install in your bilge or transom and connect to head unit. The UHD ducer will connect to the GCV20 box and the two Plus units will connect to the GCV 20 box with ethernet cables that you ordered.

If the unit(s) came with the CV ducer then you will get everything in the box to install ducer on TM. Mine came with the TM bracket. cant remember but you may need an extra clamp for TM mount if you want two of them cause i think it comes with 1 clamp.

Other considerations: not sure how you plan on installing ducers on rear of boat but if you dont want to drill holes in transom, you can look at the SternMate or Stern Saver products. If you have a jackplate, there are after market brackets to attach to jackplate to mount ducers to.

So before you start drilling, running wires, etc. take an hour or so to look over the install and figure out how/what/where so you only have to do it once.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Thanks for the info. I've spent time thinking of where to mount the stern transducer. I was thinking I may do the UHD transducer on the jackplate (also ordered a 6" Atlas hydraulic plate) as it will only be used slowly. The transom is stepped. The existing transducer is tucked under the step and holds bottom to 50+mph. I was thinking of mounting the CV ducer there.

Is there any benefit to running Si/Di at speed?

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    As for the UHD ducer, not sure what types of bracket(s) come with it. If you want to mount it on jp you might have to get a hole shot plate to mount to but with that said you would need a wedge to help with the angle on for the Atlas plates.....yes, it just keeps snowballing from there until you figure it out.....thats why i mentioned not to be in a hurry and think things thru first.

I dont think you can use the CV52 at the same time with the UHD, reason being they are both S/Dvu ducers....verify all of this but i belive you will have to replace the CV52 with just a regular sonar transom mount ducer.

I dont see any benefit of SI/DI at speed.....been running Lowrance for several years now and never thought i needed it at speed.

Here is a cheap option for the UHD jackplate mount. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12106-10

Step mount: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12106-00

HD Transom mount: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12006-11

5. Member
    Thanks again

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Before ordering new ducers, mounts, etc. verify the information i gave you is correct......

7. Member
    Will do

Note that the CV52 is compatible with your UHD system and Plus unit for 2D, as well as Side and ClearVu (can source Side and ClearVu between the CV52 and GT34UHD in the Plus menu). I see Tracker Avalanche in your signature. That is an aluminum boat, correct?

For those with fiberglass hulls, I suggest the ideal setup with Plus units and the UHD system is to order the Plus without a transducer. Then, purchase the inhull version of the GT8 (for 2D sonar), along with the 8-pin/12-pin adapter cable to hook the GT8 directly to the Plus unit.
    Garmin Pro Team

9. Member
    The Avalanche is aluminum, correct. To confirm, there is no benefit in replacing the CV transducer with a GT with dedicated Di crystal as that transducer will primarily be used for CHIRP sonar at speed?

Will I be able to view both CHIRP sonar and the UHD Di split screen from separate transducer sources?

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Note that the CV52 is compatible with your UHD system and Plus unit for 2D, as well as Side and ClearVu (can source Side and ClearVu between the CV52 and GT34UHD in the Plus menu). I see Tracker Avalanche in your signature. That is an aluminum boat, correct?

For those with fiberglass hulls, I suggest the ideal setup with Plus units and the UHD system is to order the Plus without a transducer. Then, purchase the inhull version of the GT8 (for 2D sonar), along with the 8-pin/12-pin adapter cable to hook the GT8 directly to the Plus unit.
    Thanks for the corrections!!

Quote Originally Posted by jprovencher80 View Post
    The Avalanche is aluminum, correct. To confirm, there is no benefit in replacing the CV transducer with a GT with dedicated Di crystal as that transducer will primarily be used for CHIRP sonar at speed?

Will I be able to view both CHIRP sonar and the UHD Di split screen from separate transducer sources?
    Right, no reason to use Down from the CV transducer, since you have the GT34UHD. Yes, can view 2D CHIRP and UHD Side/Down at same time.
    Garmin Pro Team

12. Member
    Thanks for confirmation

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Right, no reason to use Down from the CV transducer, since you have the GT34UHD. Yes, can view 2D CHIRP and UHD Side/Down at same time.
    to further clarify, do I need to connect the brown/blue wires between the screens if i'm also using the network cables? there doesn't appear to be a dedicated network port. do I run the network cable from the Panoptics port on head head unit to the GCV20?

14. Member
    No on the brown blue wires. You will run network cable from Panoptics to GCV, then network cable to headunit. The network port is the Panoptics port and vice versa

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slideeslide View Post
    No on the brown blue wires. You will run network cable from Panoptics to GCV, then network cable to headunit. The network port is the Panoptics port and vice versa
    Excellent. Thank you