Banned

16 Tundra Brake Shudder

2016 Tundra...19K miles. Brakes will shudder/shake when brake is applied at highway speeds. Anybody else have this issue? What was the fix?

2. Member
    Sounds like my 2007 and 2015 after 80,000 miles. Most likely a warped rotor. Pull them and turn them. Toyota might do it under warranty, had a bad one on my wife's 4 Runner at 12,000 and they fixed.

Sounds like the rotors are warped. Have the wheels ever been put on with an air gun (too tight) or have the wheels not been touched since new?

4. Member
    typical warped rotor.. I would wonder though why it was warped to begin with unless you had been riding the brakes.

Yep, rotors. Turning them might fix it for a while, but the only way to get rid of it for good is to replace them. Usually caused by suddenly slamming on the breaks when a rotor and/or pads are relatively new, in my experience.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I bought my Tundra used and it had this problem so I put new brake pads and rotors all around and it immediately solved the problem. It's now been 2 years and 50k miles and my truck is starting to do that again so I guess it's again time for new rotors. The awesome Chinese steel used to make the rotors these days warps easily so I expect I'll just need to replace them every few years.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Sounds like the rotors are warped. Have the wheels ever been put on with an air gun (too tight) or have the wheels not been touched since new?
    I would say you are right but a tough pill to swallow replacing pads/rotors at less than 20K miles. Tires rotated 3 times by myself and lug nuts torqued by hand. All pads and rotors looked fine on a visual inspection.

Amazon......new rotors and pads....hard to beat the pricing with shipping. Rock auto too.

9. Banned
    Anybody had any issues with the slide pins getting seized?

Quote Originally Posted by psj706 View Post
    Anybody had any issues with the slide pins getting seized?
    No problem with my '08... very easy to replace actually. Hardest part was jacking up the truck, had to go buy a 3 ton jack because the one that comes with the truck sucks!

I would say you are right but a tough pill to swallow replacing pads/rotors at less than 20K miles. Tires rotated 3 times by myself and lug nuts torqued by hand. All pads and rotors looked fine on a visual inspection.
    Warranty should cover that. Pads are ordinarily a wear item that I could see them refusing on their own, but the rotors are not.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I bought my Tundra used and it had this problem so I put new brake pads and rotors all around and it immediately solved the problem. It's now been 2 years and 50k miles and my truck is starting to do that again so I guess it's again time for new rotors. The awesome Chinese steel used to make the rotors these days warps easily so I expect I'll just need to replace them every few years.
    Tell me about it!! Had a flat Saturday and that POS bottle jack came very close to killing me TWICE, long story but got the spare on and no damage to me or truck.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Warranty should cover that. Pads are ordinarily a wear item that I could see them refusing on their own, but the rotors are not.

I just called Fox Toyota and they are saying they wont cover rotors as they are a wear item.

14. Member
    My 2015 is starting to do it downhill towing but I have 41000 on her now. I carry an aluminum floor jack in my truck toolbox. That bottle jack is a PITA.

If replacing rotors yourself it's very important to break them in right. Burnishing them the right way so they won't warp as easy later on.

I just called Fox Toyota and they are saying they wont cover rotors as they are a wear item.
    Sounds like it might be time to try a different dealer. Or start running it up the chain at Toyota! At 19k miles, neither should be a wear item if we're honest!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"