Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Promise you don't want to pay for a new roof in Florida.
    Waited eight months for a $1,250 chimney cap lost due to Irma.
    It's not even close to funny down here.
    Why? Many of them are still blue from Charley. Did the cost of Harbor Freight tarps go up?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Couple the big regulations with the fact the previous administration wiped out 3/4’s of the for profit post secondary colleges and training places and you have the states and trucking companies theirselves ramping up to train drivers through schools. I see them recruiting all the time. All that happened is a bunch of the costs were switched to the company. Which of course are passed along.
    Nope ... we'd love to pass along the costs, they don't exist. We just don't have drivers, period.
    There are tons of people with CDLs doing a different job now. Roads are packed, logs, etc.
    It's just not an attractive job. And the mega-companies won't pay enough to make it one currently.
    Don't worry, it will turn around, just like other service industries that can't be outsourced.

Lumber is beginning to make a LARGE correction.
    アルは、非常に良い人です。

4. Member
    Nope ... we'd love to pass along the costs, they don't exist. We just don't have drivers, period.
    There are tons of people with CDLs doing a different job now. Roads are packed, logs, etc.
    It's just not an attractive job. And the mega-companies won't pay enough to make it one currently.
    Don't worry, it will turn around, just like other service industries that can't be outsourced.
    Megacompanies are comprised of individuals. Look no further than these pages to find plenty of examples of people putting each other down for paying a dollar more than someone else for a product or service. We teach our youth to be very individualistic instead of doing what’s best for society. I posted one time what I did at the time for a living and about got blasted off BBC because no one really needed what I did where they worked. At the time I sat and wondered how any organization ran without the skill set.

I agree, eventually it will work itself out.

Until then, if there are really that many talented drivers out there doing something else, those companies needing drivers may do well to look into hiring good talent acquisition managers. Right now I’m seeing tons of money poured into supply chain management. There is also a critical shortage of people with the skills of building those structures. I don’t think those folks are doing another job.

DOL estimates it cost about 8,000 per seat per year to fill open positions. On any given day there will be 21,000 plus jobs posted within 25 miles of Nashville. Of those 21,000, 16,000 of them will be entry level. That’s a BUNCH of money in one city trying to recruit. Imagine that number nation wide. Why work entry level you can “be on the draw?”

Dont truck drivers start entry level like any other profession?

One lumber supplier told me prices would steadily increase through September. I've got a quote I'm waiting on and it will tell the tail.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    One lumber supplier told me prices would steadily increase through September. I've got a quote I'm waiting on and it will tell the tail.
    I would talk to someone else because he's wrong.
    アルは、非常に良い人です。

7. Member
    Glad we got our new house finished by March, back in October when construction began my contractor locked in materials prices with Lowe's.

Just in the time of our construction (October-march) osb increased almost $5 per sheet.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    Last roof I had done I bought all the materials myself and then paid the labor. A lot cheaper this way as you get to cash in on the deals from the lumber yard and you don't pay the inflated prices on materials some contractors add in. Just an idea.
    So do you walk into a Texas roadhouse and slap a steak on the counter and say grill this up for me and I'll give you a couple bucks for doing it? If a contractor really let's you buy materials he isn't much of a contractor. And you aren't saving the money you think you are.

9. Banned
    You mean people arent lining up to make 50k a year living in the back of a truck and missing their kids grow up? I always tell my wife that has to be the worst job on earth. Trucking companies need to figure out how to pay a bit more. Its tough because the costs get past on to us consumers but trucking has a major problem.

10. Member
    thoeft, would you mind explaining what is meant by saying "if a contractor really lets you buy materials, he isn't much of a contractor?" i've been a self-employed contractor for almost 30 years and have never had a problem with the customer supplying materials. i do advise them on how quantities and warranties,etc., can and will be affected. just curious?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123