Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Just finished building my house and the lumber was $70,000. Two story on conventional didn't help. That would have cost me maybe $45,000 2 years ago. Everything always seems to go up cause of gas but never seems to come back down with when gas does.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

2. Member
    I always heard the shingle prices were high 10 years ago because the price of oil was high.....They sure as heck didn't drop the price when oil price plummeted....Now they are just building off from those increases..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

3. Member
    In my area Architectural shingles went from abt 55$ a square to over 80$ a square several years ago. They were back down to 63$ a square until this double price raise I was told we are about to have.

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I always heard the shingle prices were high 10 years ago because the price of oil was high.....They sure as heck didn't drop the price when oil price plummeted....Now they are just building off from those increases..

4. Member
    An increase of 8 thousand in one year is not just materials. The roofer increased his labor cost as well. When things get busy the cost goes up.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FX20 View Post
    An increase of 8 thousand in one year is not just materials. The roofer increased his labor cost as well. When things get busy the cost goes up.
    Thats not totally true. I am seeing job prices remain flat, even though material prices are going up. People will bid work so cheap its ridiculous. Thing is they think they are making money.

6. Member
    Promise you don't want to pay for a new roof in Florida.
    Waited eight months for a $1,250 chimney cap lost due to Irma.
    It's not even close to funny down here.

7. Member
    I went to go buy a skid of plywood in home depot and was sticker shocked the other day.

Just heard a bit on Marketplace talking about how high building materials are. Can check it out if you’re interested, but you guys aren’t imagining it! They said lumber prices are up over 50% from the beginning of last year (at least partially driven by tariffs on Canadian lumber put in place last year), and that the increase is nearing record territory.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    Canada subsidizes their lumber industry, giving them an unfair advantage over US producers. This matter was tied up for a very long time in the body that decides fair trade issues and it was finally decided against our northern neighbor. Lumber is a commodity priced daily on very simple supply and demand. Demand is very high. And composite roofing did come way down from its high the last time crude was high. Two months ago Tamko was selling laminates for $55. Freight and rising crude has put an end to that. Many people do not realize there is a freight crisis in this country that is affecting the price of pretty much everything. Try moving something by truck or rail right now, it’s a real serious problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ssuvette View Post
    I went to go buy a skid of plywood in home depot and was sticker shocked the other day.
    Price some domestic plywood if you want some real sticker shock.

P01135809

My fishing partner's widow just had a new roof, $40K and another $30k of hail damage to the house and property

Osb plywood was 7.00 $ a sheet 3 years ago here now it's 18.00$ most if not all Building Material has doubled if not tripled in price.

13. Member
    If you need OSB just wait, it will crash and burn and drop back to $7 as fast as it went to $18, it always does.

14. Member
    Just had a roof put on a new construction. 75 square timberline HD plus labor and other materials was ~12k on a roof with 12/12 and 14/12 pitch.

15. Member

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    Canada subsidizes their lumber industry, giving them an unfair advantage over US producers. This matter was tied up for a very long time in the body that decides fair trade issues and it was finally decided against our northern neighbor. Lumber is a commodity priced daily on very simple supply and demand. Demand is very high. And composite roofing did come way down from its high the last time crude was high. Two months ago Tamko was selling laminates for $55. Freight and rising crude has put an end to that. Many people do not realize there is a freight crisis in this country that is affecting the price of pretty much everything. Try moving something by truck or rail right now, it’s a real serious problem.
    a lot of people don't like spending weeks away from home and its a big hassel and dangerous. and the log book changed have hurt a lot of the older truckers.

17. Banned
    I just ordered a prefab metal frame for a 24 x 36 foot garage and will go with one big and one small garage door. I guess my timing couldn't have been worse.

I quickly realized that sheathing the garage with OSB and Hardiplank is a lot cheaper than using metal siding. It will also look better. Now I must decide whether to use a metal roof or going OSB and shingles.

My neighborhood is between 15 and 18 years old, and every work day I can hear air nailers putting on a roof. Mine is one of the last original roofs, and it is very segmented, very tall and difficult to install. I guess I need to start accruing funds in a separate saving account for a future roof.

18. Member
    Yeah, it's doubled in price over the last year or so around here. A year ago 1/2" osb was @8- 9$ a piece. Now they are @ $18.35. 3/4" osb floor decking is $28-$30 a board these days. Crazy expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ssuvette View Post

Almost all the roofing companies around here have their salesmen driving around in a lifted up 4x4 truck and wrapped, last year we got our roof stripped, replaced with 3 tabs and cleaned up for 14,000.00 and some change. They started stripping one night till dark and finished by noon the next day. Thank God it was paid for by the insurance claim and less than 500.00 out of pocket.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poeman View Post
    a lot of people don't like spending weeks away from home and its a big hassel and dangerous. and the log book changed have hurt a lot of the older truckers.
    Couple the big regulations with the fact the previous administration wiped out 3/4’s of the for profit post secondary colleges and training places and you have the states and trucking companies theirselves ramping up to train drivers through schools. I see them recruiting all the time. All that happened is a bunch of the costs were switched to the company. Which of course are passed along.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast