Rods with no cork in front of reel seat

It's becoming harder and harder to find rods with cork in front of the reel seat. I grip the rod in front of the reel with 3 fingers and hold the line between my thumb and index finger. This is a throwback to learning to fish with a spincasting reel as a kid, but I think it gives better feel on a strike. A rod I want has nothing in front of the reel seat. I'm looking for a way to build up this rod in front of the reel. Am looking at rod tape. Wonder what others have done. Thanks.

2. Member
    I roll cast most often with baitcasters, so a bit of up front cork or foam helps compared to the plain rod blank.

I think the reason you're seeing this is for exactly why you mentioned - better feel on a strike. The issue with cork there is that it muffles feel. Direct contact with the blank offers the most sensitivity, and in the race to be the most sensitive amongst a bunch of sensitive rods, having direct contact with the blank instead of having to feel vibrations through cork makes a big difference. It comes at the expense of comfort, in my opinion, though I'm willing to sacrifice that for the sensitivity.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    I used to hold mine the same way and have had to alter my grip since just about every new rod doesn't have much in front of the reel. Now I palm the reel with my left hand, and just keep my left index finger under the line. Took some getting used to, but works fine for me now. I prefer not to rely on the rod sensitivity to feel the bite. Keeping a finger on the line allows me to feel the bite under just about any conditions. Also, I don't need a $400 rod. I do just fine with much less expensive rods and they work just fine.

5. Member
    I have a couple Falcon rods that have pretty small cork sections just in front of the reel. They could be sanded down to nothing then built back up the way you want.
    Hi Mike.

I hold the reel and line the same as you and I don’t have a problem with nothing in front of the reel.

7. Member
    Get you some cork rings, calipers, and titebond III glue. Ream each ring till you get your length, carefully split each ring and place on blank, glue it all up after checking fit. Wipe down excess glue with denatured alcohol use a couple rubber bands to hold it all together till it dries then take a sanding block and shape it to your liking on any blank you choose.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Get you some cork rings, calipers, and titebond III glue. Ream each ring till you get your length, carefully split each ring and place on blank, glue it all up after checking fit. Wipe down excess glue with denatured alcohol use a couple rubber bands to hold it all together till it dries then take a sanding block and shape it to your liking on any blank you choose.
    This.
    Hi Mike.

Same on spinning, I hold completely in front of the reel......i also use Tenn. Handles.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    This.
    +2

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. If you don't want to split it, you might take the guides off and put them back on after you get teh foregrip installed.

I'd just say get used to it and adapt to the times. Not saying that in a mean way.

Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. If you don't want to split it, you might take the guides off and put them back on after you get teh foregrip installed.
    At this point you're better off paying for a custom rod.

14. Member
    You can buy the foregrip in many different sizes already made, they are cheap. Get one already made, ream it to spec and slice it in half then reglue. Easy peasy.

http://www.mudhole.com/Components-Ro...andles?show=48

Edit: ^^ - great minds think alike.

Instead of using rings, you could just buy and pre-made fore grip and do the same thing. If it was me, I'd ream it out as close as possible before splitting the grip (unless it would be thin then you are better off splitting it first). You may even want to ream it a bit larger on purpose so the halves can be aligned perfectly. I would sand the area of the blank that the fore grip would cover then epoxy the section on. The epoxy would fill the gaps well and make a very solid assembly. You could probably do all this in an hour per rod.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

I would just pay for a custom built rod
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

17. Member
    Agreed! I do exactly as you. I use all Loomis. jeu still make them but getting smaller

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Same on spinning, I hold completely in front of the reel......i also use Tenn. Handles.
    Spinning handles drive me crazy the way most are made with the grip behind the reel and my hand on the thread parts without grip or too far in front of the handle to be any use. I just about won’t buy a spinning rod unless there is some type of grip at the handle.

19. Banned
    JY-

I remember this thread yesterday a.m. when We were out fishing. I put the blankets down for the dogs and that turned the rods over and I noticed the rods I use don't have the fore-cork.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/13_Fi...cpage-TFB.html My new favorite rod and @ $99.00 it is a no brainer even if NEON GREEN

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa...page-DCRS.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa...cpage-DTC.html

If "NOT" what You're looking for , "ooops"

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    same here, won’t buy a spinning rod without a cork foregrip and I don’t understand why more companies wouldn’t make their spinning rods this way. My 852S NRX is the most comfortable I’ve found for a spinning rod foregrip. The new Megabass Orochi spinning handles look very promising as well.