Thread: Smoking

BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

Smoking

I’m looking for some tips/ideas/ suggestions on smoking pork loin and chicken thighs/drumsticks.

Going to be my first time using my charcoal smoker, or any smoker for that matter.

2. Member
    For the pork I’d suggest the following:

1. Coat the meat with yellow mustard
    2. Apply rub
    3. Wrap in bacon
    4. Thank me later.

3. Banned
    I like thighs that have been marinated in oyster sauce.

4. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    I’m mainly concerned about timing. Worried that I’ll either have everything done at 1:00, or I’ll have hangry dinner guests impatiently waiting on their food at 7:30.

5. Banned
    Google cream cheese bacon wrapped pork loin and pick from a recipe. If not today do it next time. Keeps it moist and foolproof, delicious

Chicken thighs and drumsticks are higher in fat than the white meat, so you have a bit more leeway in that they won't dry out and turn into jerky quickly. Pork loin, on the other hand, will turn to leather in the blink of an eye if you're not careful. Use a good accurate thermometer as your guide and stick to these temps instead of guessing. You can pull the pork off the smoker a tad early and wrap it in foil where it will continue to cook for a bit and remain juicy.

Ranting incoherently

7. Member
    +1 on using a good thermometer. I use one that tells me the temp in a second.

8. Member
    Look for Cliff to chime in. His cooking pictures look awesome and makes you want to try and do the same. He adds great info.
    Praying for a Cure

9. Member
    Give a shout out to rb, he's a smoke cooking fool.

10. Member
    BasserJim, I’m with ya. I just bought an Oklahoma joe highland smoker and I got up this morning at 5:30 and did the initial smoke and seasoning of it. Now I have a couple of pork loins about ready to come off and wrap in foil. Do as others have suggested and get you a good thermometer. I spray my pork loins with apple juice to help keep them moist.

11. Member
    BasserJim, I’m with ya. I just bought an Oklahoma joe highland smoker and I got up this morning at 5:30 and did the initial smoke and seasoning of it. Now I have a couple of pork loins about ready to come off and wrap in foil. Do as others have suggested and get you a good thermometer. I spray my pork loins with apple juice to help keep them moist.

Two things you need. A cooler and heavy duty foil. The pork loin needs to come off around 147 degrees. Wrap it in foil and put it in the cooler. Chicken at 175 for dark meat and wrap and put in a separate cooler if you have one. The meats will hold for several hours in the coolers. When cooking for company I always try and plan on my meat coming off 2 hours before we eat. Don’t worry it will taste great. Again I can’t preach enough about getting a log book and writing EVERYTHING down. Rubs, woods, times and everything. Helps to eliminate repeat mistakes and better yet duplicate purfect cooks
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Two things you need. A cooler and heavy duty foil. The pork loin needs to come off around 147 degrees. Wrap it in foil and put it in the cooler. Chicken at 175 for dark meat and wrap and put in a separate cooler if you have one. The meats will hold for several hours in the coolers. When cooking for company I always try and plan on my meat coming off 2 hours before we eat. Don’t worry it will taste great. Again I can’t preach enough about getting a log book and writing EVERYTHING down. Rubs, woods, times and everything. Helps to eliminate repeat mistakes and better yet duplicate purfect cooks
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175