HELP NEEDED!! 2001 Triton TX-186 w/ 2017 Vmax SHO 150--NO HOLESHOT

PLEASE HELP!

I have a 2001 Triton TX-186 (dual console). It is basically the same as the TR-186, but it doesn’t have carpet and has an added baitwell in the back.

I recently replaced the Mercury XR6 150 that came with the boat with a brand new Yamaha Vmax SHO 150. The hole shot on the new Vmax SHO 150 is almost nonexistent. It really struggles just to get on plane.

I am using the 23p Tempest Plus prop that was on the Mercury with the new Vmax SHO. The Tempest has all of the large hole vent plugs installed. With the Vmax SHO, the center of the prop is sitting 4.25” below the bottom of the pad.(This seems kind of low to me)

With 3/4 tank of gas, two adults, and the livewell 1/3 full; it bogs down and barely is able to get up on plane. It takes almost a full 20 seconds for the bow to drop at WOT with the motor trimmed down all the way. It maxes out at ~40k RPMs until it is able to get on plane. When I am finally able to get the boat on plane, I’m getting ~59-60k rpms and a top speed of ~55mph at WOT on plane. The prop seems like it slightly blowsout at WOT or when making turns..

Hole shot hot is way more important to me than top end speed. As long as I can maintain at least 50mph top end speed w/ 2 adults, I would be happy.

I already have $16k sunk into this motor and so far it has been a huge disappointment.

I came here first because of all of the knowledgeable people on this forum. If one of you guys or gals can’t help me, then nobody can. If anyone can give me any suggestions on how to fix this issue, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2001 Triton TX-186 Dual Console
    6” manual jackplate

2017 Yamaha Vmax SHO 150

23p Tempest plus prop
    All Large hole vent plugs installed
    4.25” below pad

20 second hole shot w/ livewell 1/3 full, 2 adults,
    and 2/3 tank of gas.

~40k max RPMs w/ motor trimmer down while trying to get on plane.

~60k RPMs @ WOT once on plane with motor trimmed up.

Last edited by Grisley; 06-14-2018 at 09:06 AM.

2. Member
    I have a Stratos 285 (18.6') with a Yamaha F150, different boat and engine...but my set-up experience with it may help. Most advise that four-strokes don't need prop venting and recommend solid plugs, I have found with my set-up, it bogs on take-off with solid plugs with all the props I have tried (Yamaha M, Turbo TXP, Tempest Plus, Trophy Plus, Power Tech TR04) and the plugs with the smallest holes perform best. Also, your prop-to-pad seems little low, I would try 4" and 3.75" below-the-pad if you haven't tried those heights yet. If none of that helps, Mark Craxton can rework your prop for better take off. All these things helped a little bit getting on plane quicker, but best thing I did to get on plane quicker, was add Attwood Gull Wings to the lower unit. Now I can get on plane in 2-3 seconds when I use full throttle and 4-5 seconds at half throttle.

3. Member
    Your mounted too low raise it up to 3.5" under pad and get at least a 24" prop to bring your rpm's down then plug two holes on the prop solid to get the take off rpm's down after you raise the motor. That motor has 2.0 gears and will turn a larger prop.

4. Member
    If you can find one get a Yamaha T1 22P, that is what originally came on my Skeeter 190 and it was a rocket out of the hole. Motor will spin to 6,100 without issues, start at 3.5 prop to pad.

5. Member
    I think your motor is too low. I just repowered with the same sho on my ranger 363v. without a jack plate my sweet spot is 4.25" prop to pad. Hole shot is fantastic and wot is low 60's depending on load and water conditions. I'm running a 14 x 23 solos 3 blade, no vent holes. That's a sweet motor, when you get the set up right you will be happy you repowered.

Raise the engine to 3.5" PTP. Try removing a couple of plugs to see if that makes a difference. If not, you're either going to have to get the prop worked or change props. If hole shot is your main objective, you might consider going to a 4 blade prop. The "newish" Mercury Bravo 1 FS (4 stroke) is out of Mercury Racing division, and is "pro finished", which means it's balanced and had nicer edges. The barrel of the prop is not as long as the Tempest, and is only very slightly flared. The Bravo 1 FS runs a pitch low, so you would probably need a 24" (will run like a 23"). The even numbered Bravos are true to specs...the odd numbered ones start as even numbered, and they add a bit more cup to get it to behave 1 pitch higher...in other words, a 25" starts life as a 24". I am running a BassCat Sabre FTD (2017 dual console) with the Yamaha 175 SHO and tried a Tempest 24...worked OK, so I now use it for a spare...a 24" non vented SHO that has been blueprinted and balanced...it performed well, but lacked a bit of hole shot when I added a passenger. I talked to Scott at Mercury Racing and he suggested the Bravo 1 FS (it comes with 4 solid plugs that can be removed) in a 25" pitch and raise the engine to 3" PTP. With 15 Rods/reels, several 3750 boxes, 30 gallons of fuel, 3 batteries, a MK Fortrex 80 (heavier TM), I have a 2.5 to 3 second hole shot solo and can turn the prop to 6K rpm at a solid 68 mph. Another person will add a second or two to hole shot, and speed will be 66 or so. I think I can raise my engine a little more and perhaps get 6100 rpm and 70 mph out of it, but I have not run it at that height yet. I LOVE the prop though. Great lift of the entire boat, great handling in rough water and when turning. All around, I am happy with this prop.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Added: Forgot to mention the mid range performance. The boat will stay up at slower speeds now...3K to 4K rpms. Midrange acceleration is unreal.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

8. Member
    I’d like to thank you guys for for all of the great advice. Last weekend we went to raise the jackplate and noticed that the main adjustment nut on the jackplate was cracked into two pieces. The cracked nut doesn’t affect the integrity of the jackplate, but it doesn’t allow for it to be adjusted. My jackplate is a Pro Hi Jacker HP. I am in the process of having a friend of mine machine me a new part for it.

I went fishing this past Saturday. While we were at the boat launch I decided to pull two of the plugs out of the prop. I wasn’t expecting it to help much, but boy was I wrong. I gunned the throttle and the prop was able to spin up properly. It was up on plane in under 3 seconds. This was with 1/2 tank of fuel and fully loaded with gear and two adults. I even filled the livewell all the way up and tried it again and was still able to get on plane in about 3 seconds.

I was also able to get up to ~60mph according to my gps, and could’ve probably got it to go even faster on the top end, but I didn’t want to run the motor that hard just yet. I do still experience a small amount of chine and bit of blowout, but it’s very manageable and I’ll probably be able to remedy it once I am able to adjust the jackplate.

I am finally starting to enjoy this new motor.

Thanks again.