Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HELP NEEDED!! 2001 Triton TX-186 w/ 2017 Vmax SHO 150--NO HOLESHOT

PLEASE HELP!

I have a 2001 Triton TX-186 (dual console). It is basically the same as the TR-186, but it doesn’t have carpet and has an added baitwell in the back.

I recently replaced the Mercury XR6 150 that came with the boat with a brand new Yamaha Vmax SHO 150. The hole shot on the new Vmax SHO 150 is almost nonexistent. It really struggles just to get on plane.

I am using the 23p Tempest Plus prop that was on the Mercury with the new Vmax SHO. The Tempest has all of the large hole vent plugs installed. With the Vmax SHO, the center of the prop is sitting 4.25” below the bottom of the pad.(This seems kind of low to me)

With 3/4 tank of gas, two adults, and the livewell 1/3 full; it bogs down and barely is able to get up on plane. It takes almost a full 20 seconds for the bow to drop at WOT with the motor trimmed down all the way. It maxes out at ~40k RPMs until it is able to get on plane. When I am finally able to get the boat on plane, I’m getting ~59-60k rpms and a top speed of ~55mph at WOT on plane. The prop seems like it slightly blowsout at WOT or when making turns..

Hole shot hot is way more important to me than top end speed. As long as I can maintain at least 50mph top end speed w/ 2 adults, I would be happy.

I already have $16k sunk into this motor and so far it has been a huge disappointment.

I came here first because of all of the knowledgeable people on this forum. If one of you guys or gals can’t help me, then nobody can. If anyone can give me any suggestions on how to fix this issue, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2001 Triton TX-186 Dual Console
    6” manual jackplate

2017 Yamaha Vmax SHO 150

23p Tempest plus prop
    All Large hole vent plugs installed
    4.25” below pad

20 second hole shot w/ livewell 1/3 full, 2 adults,
    and 2/3 tank of gas.

~40k max RPMs w/ motor trimmer down while trying to get on plane.

~60k RPMs @ WOT once on plane with motor trimmed up.

Last edited by Grisley; 06-14-2018 at 09:06 AM.