New to the Skeeter family advice needed

Just bought a 2013 ZX 21 with the 250 SHO with dual talons, Minn Kota Ultrex. So far love the lay out and room to move around. Moved over from a 2000 Triton TR 21, which was also a great boat just a little narrower and a bit less room, but really fast.
    I had it out last weekend for the first time. The boat was loaded with gear, my partner (250 LBS+) both gas tanks full, 63 MPH at about 5800 RPMS. I'm sure there is more in it than that. Anyone willing to give advice on set up would be appreciated. Best props, Prop to pad, etc...
    Thanks
    Chef Dave

Congrats on the new boat. I don't know about the ZX 21 but I have a 2018 FX21 LE and loaded with partner and fuel it will run 72. I'm running the standard 25 T2 prop. I've got an atlas jack plate also. My ZX 225 would run 70 fully loaded with partner and fuel. It had a 25 T1 prop. I think its more in her. I look at engine height, my prop to pad is 2.5" most of the time but I can adjust on the fly.
    2018 Skeeter FX21 LE Ox Blood

3. Member
    Thanks, I haven't looked at prop to pad height yet but I will today.

4. Member
    Forgot to mention I'm running a 25 T 1 at 2 1/14 below pad. Do you think I should lower it a bit?

5. Member
    I think you need prop work. 5800 and 63 is bad slip. Should be in the 71-73 range at those rpms.

6. Member
    The prop does have a few imperfections. I had my Triton dialed in perfect, now I feel like I am starting from square one again. I am a fan of tempest props, are they any good on skeeter? I'm assuming I'd have to plug the vents on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chefdave View Post
    The prop does have a few imperfections. I had my Triton dialed in perfect, now I feel like I am starting from square one again. I am a fan of tempest props, are they any good on skeeter? I'm assuming I'd have to plug the vents on it.

Yes they are, and no you don't have to plug them. With that heavy of a load, I suggest the 25 Tempest. They do have to be worked to run worth a damn.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

8. Member
    So what work would the tempest need? Balance and blueprint? or cup added? Both?

Start with a basic balance and blueprint. You can adjust the cup if needed. However, it seems to like a little extra cup on the trailing edge.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

I didn't have any luck with tempest on my boat.. Plus I don't want to have to run different props for different water conditions...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    I didn't have any luck with tempest on my boat.. Plus I don't want to have to run different props for different water conditions...
    THIS!

And to add to this, I would stay with the 25 T-1 and I would bring the engine down to 2 1/2" - 2 3/4". It sounds like someone definitely messed with that prop you have currently. I would send it to Croxton for a blueprint and see where you are from there. You may find you need to add more cup to the T-1 to get more lift with the Heavy load you are running. I did this and was amazed at the difference.

12. Member
    Ok, I ran the boat with the set up I listed earlier in the thread. The only difference was I took my partner's gear out of the back storage containers, 2 full tanks of gas, myself (no partner) and my gear. Got 68 MPH at 5900 RPM The prop definitely needs some work, but I feel like I'm getting somewhere. I think I may drop the motor another 1/4 inch and see what that does.

Other thing is that Triton you came out of is gonna be faster than no doubt..but there is certainly more in your Skeeter...inspect your prop as well, not just the blades but these T-1 props can break inside in the barrel...I know that cause when I hit the rock and broke mine, I seen where a lot had done the same thing hitting nothing but water..don't think that's an issue here but you never know...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand