Thread: Loose Seat

Loose Seat

My drivers seat keeps working its way loose. I'm guessing the previous owner had it off for some reason (because the heads of the screws a stripped) and now the holes that the screws go thin are worn to where the screws do not hold as tight as they should. I was planning on filling the holes with some MarineTex, drilling a pilot hole once it dries and putting the bolts back in. Is this the best solution or can anyone thing of a better was to fix this? I was also considering trying some sort of sheetrock anchor that would open behind the stripped hole and give me something to pull against but I don't want to make the holes any bigger to fit an anchor thru the hole.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    What boat model? Owners of similar rigs can probably give you some solid advice from their experience. Never having done that procedure myself, I’d say you have nothing to lose by trying the Marine Tex method first.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    It's a 2013 Z520.....the issue is that the area that the screw goes into is a thin wall if fiberglass, so there isn't a lot of surface area for the screw to grab either. I would love to get a bolt with a nut and washer in its place but there is no way to get at the back once the seat is put in place....unless i was to cut a hole in the storage compartment behind the seat, which I'm not willing to do as of yet.

I don't have your model but still a 2013 a few suggestions when deciding whether to use Marine Tex or make new alternative holes there is wiring and fuel tank hoses and components to be wary of that could be damaged or punctured by using the wrong length screw or drill bit by whatever method you choose or someone suggests. You can get replacement screws (same size and length as factory) that are installed with a socket head instead of a Philips more to grab onto. Also some of your problem may be in the front clips that go into the slots. If the clips are to short and just barely going into the slots the seat will work loose. Take a mirror and look at the ones on your passenger seat if your drivers seat is already out to see what I'm talking about if they are barely thru the slot you probably will need to adjust the ones on the drivers side since it gets used a lot more.

5. Member
    Thanks for the advice bassbama, I know that there is a lot going on behind that seat and that's what is making me a little nervous about messing around back there too much. A local friend also mentioned those front clips but mine seem to be ok, he said that sometimes they even bend a little which will affect they way the seat sits. The only weird thing that I noticed is that the gas tank will swell up some in the heat which will cause the seat to push up a little bit. The only reason I notice this was while the seat was off it wasn't sitting correctly when I tried to put it back but if I open the fill cap and release the pressure it fits perfectly.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Good stuff, Tom. Thanks for posting.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    My 2013 518Z drivers seat is the same way. Perhaps the same installer?

8. Member
    Who knows....I was figuring the previous owner had something to do with it but I guess it could have come from the factory this way. Have you been able to do anything with it?

9. Member
    I have not attempted anything myself. First noticed it when I ran dedicated power up to the bow from the crank battery. The bolts slide in and out easily, no threads grab the enlarged hole. My dealer left Ranger, then stopped servicing and now this year closed altogether. The two Ct dealers are a 2 hours plus tow each way apiece from my home. I'll keep an eye out here and perhaps will call Ranger

10. Member
    Ok, let me know if you turn up anything, or if anyone else has any ideas....I'm all ears.

11. Member
    Same thing happened to my z185. Call Ranger and have them send you some pieces of pultrusion. Glue it where the screws go through and screw em down!!
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

12. Member
    Blind nut, sert-nut, or sometimes called a rivet nut.

A Google search comes up with alot of stuff.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

13. Member
    Thanks guys.

blkfalc4, I actually got something called a "T nut" at Lowes last night that looks very similar to what you are describing. I will probably give that a try this weekend.

Mine did the same thing. I switched from those screws to a 1/4" lag bolt and have not had any problem since !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

15. Member
    I just had my passenger seat reskinned. I could only find in the Phillips head 3 inch screws. Even though they seemed to tighten they did not hold. Ranger put in 3 1/2 inch screws which I had to ruin the heads to get them out so the seat could be removed. Contacting Ranger they said I had to use 3 1/2 inch screws. I just found 3 1/2 lag screws and will give them a try. Always can learn something from this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    I just had my passenger seat reskinned. I could only find in the Phillips head 3 inch screws. Even though they seemed to tighten they did not hold. Ranger put in 3 1/2 inch screws which I had to ruin the heads to get them out so the seat could be removed. Contacting Ranger they said I had to use 3 1/2 inch screws. I just found 3 1/2 lag screws and will give them a try. Always can learn something from this board.
    Be sure to use a washer with those lag bolts. The will dig into the foam mold and are very difficult to dig out. (Don't ask !! ) lol
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents