2000 SeaArk ZX170 Restoration

I purchased this 2000 SeaArk ZX170 back in September. It had been left outside for a long time and the sun/elements had definitely taken a toll on her. I immediately had to install a new wiring harness on the trailer and replaced all the lights with LED. Then rebuilt one hub. From there I pulled the old 60hp Johnson off (loosing compression on one cylinder) and repowered with a new 4 stroke 70hp Suzuki with a manual jackplate. I then pulled the old seats out with the intent of getting them recovered but opted to buy new. I went out on two trips and noticed a significant amount of water in the bilge. Knowing new carpet was needed, I decided to tear into it and replace all the plumbing.

About half of the old carpet had been removed by the previous owner. Therefore, I really did not know or was naive to the amount of work ahead of me. The carpet coming off was the easy part. The glue / contact cement removal was what took so long. I initially tried to do this with a scraper and then moved on to a die grinder and a 3M Roloc. The roloc was the ticket.

After all the decks and panels were removed I replaced all of the plumbing / hoses and every thru hull fitting. I also replaced the aerator pump and all livewell fittings. Everything was sealed with BASF NP1 Polyurethane Sealant.

Once all of that was complete I finally started carpeting. I used 20 oz carpet, Contact Cement, and a great pair of fabric scissors. The scissors worked great and created very little fraying (they were finally starting to dull at the end of the project). I initially ordered a 8'x30' roll and had to order an additional 8'x6' piece to finish. I also installed all new TH Marine Latches and pedestal bases. I am not sure exactly how long this took me as I was working out of town and would work Friday evenings and some weekends.

I am still getting some water seepage but not as much as before. I will start my process of elimination and welcome any suggestions.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member

3. Member

4. Member
    In search of a double digit MONSTER!!!

6. Member
    07 STRATOS 176XT

7. Member
    That looks nice

Very nice work, it's a whole new boat! That's a nice new motor you have on it as well!!! Well done.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

9. Member
    Wow! Nice rehabilitation of the old girl! Enjoy her!

10. Member
    Cool boat!

11. Member
    sweet job

Very nice! I have a 1998 ZX180. You have inspired me to do a complete restoration.

13. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar