Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Vexus 1880 - Saw it, touched it, loved it, but...

Went to the Houston boat show last night and saw the Vexus 1880 and 1980 in person. The Vexus rep and the team at Ron Hoover were excellent to deal with.

These boats are amazing! The design and features of these boats are far above anything in the aluminum bass market at this time. Extremely well thought out and just dang good looking. My heart was set on the 1880 especially after I got to climb all over the thing inspecting every single inch to make sure that was going to be my next boat.

My biggest hang up has been the max 115 HP rating of the 1880. I asked the Vexus rep if they had any intention of increasing the HP rating to which he replied with a big NO. I know every time I hit the throttle I would be disappointed knowing that I spent that amount of money for an 18'10" bass boat that is underpowered. For this reason I will not be buying a Vexus.

2. Member
    It does seem to be under powered but have you test drove one ? Just curious because these folks seem to really have their stuff together.

3. Member
    I have not test drove one.

4. Banned
    Seems like a pretty lame reason for ruling out a boat unless you're a big time tournament fisherman. If it was an issue of the boat not getting on plane it would be reasonable, but the videos show that's not the case. Ask the rep for a ride, it may change your mind completely.

5. Banned
    Does anyone know what the top speed is with the 115?

6. Banned
    This boat w/a larger motor might put the price where Vexus™ doesn't want it??

7. Banned
    Evidently there is one w/a 150 at RealDealMarine™ there is a thread.. post #53

8. Banned
    My err it is a model #1980

This boat w/a larger motor might put the price where Vexus™ doesn't want it??
    package it for the price point you want it at, but let the consumer decide if they want to pay more for a larger engine. Not a tough concept to grasp.

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

10. Member
    Like most around here, I have owned every HP known to man. It is better to go half throttle then to always have an engine pegged.

Actually, with the new 4 stroke motors, it isn't. They all allow fuel to bypass the rings into the crank case and contaminate the oil. They need frequent extended high RPM operation to get the heat up in the engine to keep the fuel evaporated out of the oil. If you only cruise around half throttle or less, you engine will "make oil" and you will see the oil creep up the dipstick, and it will need more frequent changing to maintain its ability to lubricate the engine. I used to think the same thing, like a truck engine, running at lower RPM. But the difference is your truck engine runs much hotter at lower RPM. Most 4 stroke outboards it is hard to get them above 140 degrees even running full throttle.

You want an engine you will run hard every time. That is what they are designed and tuned to do.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 06-14-2018 at 12:18 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Actually, with the new 4 stroke motors, it isn't. They all allow fuel to bypass the rings into the crank case and contaminate the oil. They need frequent extended high RPM operation to get the heat up in the engine to keep the fuel evaporated out of the oil. If you only cruise around half throttle or less, you engine will "make oil" and you will see the oil creep up the dipstick, and it will need more frequent changing to maintain its ability to lubricate the engine. I used to think the same thing, like a truck engine, running at lower RPM. But the difference is your truck engine runs much hotter at lower RPM. Most 4 stroke outboards it is hard to get them above 140 degrees even running full throttle.

You want an engine you will run hard every time. That is what they are designed and tuned to do.
    Is this information derived from the current manuals?

Quote Originally Posted by Tundah View Post
    This information is derived from a current certified Mercury master technician in advice given to me. Mercury is NOT going to put that in writing, neither is Yamaha. But this is likely why Mercury is so adamant about their procedures being followed for break in of these engines and why they recommend an oil change at 20 hours. It is very hard to get the rings seated well in these engines due to lack of heat.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 06-14-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Merc should do what Evinrude does, break them in from day one in the factory so the consumer doesn't have to worry about it.

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

Still waiting for the 90" package width boat

16. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundah View Post
    I've heard the procedure to breaking in a SHO is to trim down all the way and plow water. It needs to be worked so it doesn't "make oil" later. Like said above, this procedure isn't written in manual though.

17. Member
    you probally will go just as fast in 1980 with 150 as you would with 150 on 1880 maybe 5 mile per hr i had a 181/2 glass boat with 150 only ran 55 loaded that 1980 with the g2 probally do that

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    This information is derived from a current certified Mercury master technician in advice given to me. Mercury is NOT going to put that in writing, neither is Yamaha. But this is likely why Mercury is so adamant about their procedures being followed for break in of these engines and why they recommend an oil change at 20 hours. It is very hard to get the rings seated well in these engines due to lack of heat.
    They have literally thousands of Yamaha motors down here in Florida along the coast. You see Yamaha and Suzuki motors on a lot of the salt boats. What you say would be very interesting to a lot of captains down here that fish and TROLL with the Yamaha motors. It is pretty much common knowledge that yes they do like to run wide open some and need it, but you DON'T want to take any engine and run it wide open all the time. DURING break in, yes it is good to run it like that to seat the rings, but after the break in period things change.

They develop power at the end of the curve and run fine at full throttle, but I don't think manufacturers recommend to constantly run them like that......buy a bigger motor and run it where the fuel efficiency is. That's about 3500-4000 RPM and if you are buying gas for a deep sea fishing charter boat, you pay attention to that. The fuel consumption and MPG drops off horribly at wide open throttle. Take a look at the chart and you will see. For a bass boat that burns maybe 10 gallons, it is not a big deal. But if you buy the fuel they do, you pay attention....... I do watch my RPM even with my bass boat. It costs a lot of EXTRA money to drive a boat motor wide open all the time. Fuel efficiency is a big deal....look at the consumption chart and MPG at 3500 RPM and 6000 RPM.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

19. Banned
    package it for the price point you want it at, but let the consumer decide if they want to pay more for a larger engine. Not a tough concept to grasp.

Same queries here:http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=909826

Quote Originally Posted by strids97 View Post
    Exactly. To be a “revolution” wouldnt you want to set the bar a notch above the rest. The ranger hull is a slug its just a basic hull design the vexus is light years ahead with the pad etc its a very nice boat but a 115 is a 115 regardless and will only push a boat this big so fast fancy hull design or not. I would be disappointed to pay this amount of money and do 45-50 mph with it maxxed out. And contrary to another post NO engine will last running WOT all the time its not happening.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast