Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs Up (No more) Problems with my avx 1980

Overall I love my 1980 but I’m wondering if any other owners are having a similar problem I’m having. The main problem is that the deck of my bow between the trolling motor foot pedal and the seat post hole is sort of bulging and when I step on it, it pops down like the lid of an oil can... or kind of like a metal jar lid after you break the vacuum. For a $42k boat, I really want a flat solid deck that doesn’t pop. Has anyone else had this happen?

Update 3/25/19:

Good news! With the help of the Vexus team giving me more detailed instructions via text message and phone calls, I fixed it!!! Just to be clear, they did tell me I can take it back to the dealer but I thought it was simple enough that I could do it myself. I didn't want the go through the trouble of hauling it back and having it sit at the dealer, not at this time of the year! He also explained why this happens and it made sense. So they are aware of the issue and I do think they will learn from this and make the necessary adjustments in design.

Every newly released product goes through this. Think of all the issues with iphones that pop up after launch....and they're Apple!!! As a business owner myself who sells products that we design and have manufactured, I know first hand that issues arise. It's inevitable but it's how you deal with them that turn buyers into lifelong customers.

The fix was to brace the bubble down (I used the butt of another hammer so as to not whack my finger) then give it a firm tap with a rubber mallet. Before, I tried to just whack it without pressing it down. I didn't think it was going to work BUT IT DID! I'm a happy camper! It's really not that big of a deal.

It's an amazing boat and I have no regrets with my purchase! I'd recommend Vexus to anyone looking for an aluminum bass boat. Keith showed some serious customer service by stepping up and working through the issue with me. He couldn't have been more proactive and responsive. I really appreciate that. I think that their responsiveness speaks to how this company is striving to operate and I applaud them! Great job Vexus!!!
    Last edited by sj88; 03-25-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: update

2. Member
    I think that's one of the downside of aluminum decking.

3. Member
    Definitely something that your Vexus dealer needs to look at to determine the cause. I’m sure they could get to the bottom of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    I think that's one of the downside of aluminum decking.
    Unfortunately it's not. I'm sure Vexus will make it right.

5. Member
    Mine is doing the same thing. Sclark??

6. Member
    Mine has not been doing this.

7. Member
    Surprised y’all haven’t already taken it to be checked out

8. Member
    Doesn't sound normal to me.

9. Member
    Sclark Sent me a PM and said someone would call me. I’ll update here after to share the solution with others.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sj88 View Post
    Sclark Sent me a PM and said someone would call me. I’ll update here after to share the solution with others.
    Probably install an extra screw here and there lol.

11. Member
    They will get you fixed up.
    Last edited by TripleT; 03-10-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

12. Member
    I hope so. And I hope it doesn’t involve me having to put in a couple screws into the deck haha!

13. Member
    An extra screw haha, gonna be some bumps in the road with new rigs. Luckily I am not in the market for a few years, these guys will get ya all fixed up

14. Member
    mine doesn't pop but there is one spot it flexes and may pop, almost like u are stating. never heard it but have felt the deck flex or what not.
    Jeremy
    Texas A&M \'99

This was happening in the floor on my 2006 Tracker Grizzly 1860. They used to come with the ribs exposed and if you wanted a floor you had to buy a kit which included a sheet of aluminum for the floor and a sheet for the port and starboard sides. When I installed the floor it wasn't perfectly flat against the ribs so when I riveted it I had a buckle which would pop when you walked on it. I just added more rivets to fix the issue.

16. Member
    Any updates?
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

17. Member
    I was told by Vexus they would contact my dealer and tell them how to fix it. I haven’t heard from my dealer yet. I also asked the gentleman at Vexus if he can tell me how it will be fixed so I can know what to expect. I haven’t heard back from Vexus on this. It’s been a day. I’ll post when he replies. He’s usually pretty responsive.

I also received a PM from someone else who was having the same problem. He said he whacked it with a rubber mallet and it fixed it. I might try that depending on how Vexus replies. I’d hate to tow it back to the dealer if that’s all they’re going to do.

18. Member
    Any update yet?

19. Member
    No, the Vexus guy hasn’t replied to my email asking how it’s to be fixed. I sent a follow up email yesterday. I still haven’t whacked it with a rubber mallet yet, I’m waiting on a reply from Vexus first.

20. Member
    Hope u get an answer soon brother.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast