Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Maybe they have a high performance tin rig in the makings, I am interested in the glass boats, I did here the 21 footer was rated for a 250 and it was maybe a pad boat.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    Maybe they have a high performance tin rig in the makings, I am interested in the glass boats, I did here the 21 footer was rated for a 250 and it was maybe a pad boat.
    They need to make it Unlimited ...

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    They need to make it Unlimited ...
    Kind of surprised it would not be rated for the 300, maybe it will be, all hearsay right now.

I bought my Ranger RT188 in 2016. Then basically the people who ran Ranger left the company. Not complaining, I have had no problems and still love the boat. Just waiting to see what/if/how that situation effects support I receive in the future. I was looking at Xpress at the time and was interested in the higher performance. But the build quality and support reputation of the Ranger swayed my decision. So I have been looking toward the design of the Vexus with interest. When I first saw pictures of the transom bracing design, I though OK, they are about to put some serious horsepower on these boats. The perfect world, the Ranger RT build quality on a performance powered hull, best of both worlds. Now it appears that the Vexus will be powered in the same class as the RT's. Certainly not substantial enough performance difference to warrant me selling my RT and adding thousands more to get into a Vexus.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass0112 View Post
    Seems like a pretty lame reason for ruling out a boat unless you're a big time tournament fisherman. If it was an issue of the boat not getting on plane it would be reasonable, but the videos show that's not the case. Ask the rep for a ride, it may change your mind completely.
    I agree, to this day I have not caught a bass while doing 70 mph.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    This point is getting old when talking boat speeds. Some people just like to go fast whether you can catch a fish at 70 or not. Also think about all the extra minutes of fishing you'd have in a lifetime if you added an extra 10-20mph. I for one downgraded my boat from a skeeter ZX225 to an 1860 alumacraft for family reasons and while I do love fishing out of it, it has held me back some. I constantly find myself wanting to fish certain areas, but look at my clock and realize I don't have enough time to make a 20mile run and back.

7. Banned
    Have you caught any going 30?

8. Member
    Nobody here asked anything about going 70. I will try to explain it for you... Motors get their best fuel MPG at about 3500-4000 RPMs. A motor could be around 7 MPG there +or- a little and it will be at about 4 - 5 MPG or so at wide open throttle.

I don't think there are many 70MPH folks on the forum here but most would like to be able to cruise at about 40 - 45 or so without running the motor at 6000 RPMs all the time. We are not a bunch of speed demons and if we were we would be driving a glass boat. They said it was better structurally, had a better stronger transom, would be a better performer, has a dense foam for extra strength, etc etc. Then they copy Ranger and Tracker and put a 115 on it.

If you are fishing and doing a 20 mile run and would like to cruise and not run wide open all the way with the 115 that is about 30 or so and there is a lot of difference in time spent driving and also in the gas you burn. I have had fast boats and don't want another one but I don't want a slow one either and I don't want to burn more gas than I need to. Don't want to do 70, but would not mind cruising at 45 with gear, gas, livewell and two people without it being run wide open. Can't do that with a 115.
    Last edited by FloridaFlyer; 06-30-2018 at 09:49 PM.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Nobody here asked anything about going 70. I will try to explain it for you... Motors get their best fuel MPG at about 3500-4000 RPMs. A motor could be around 7 MPG there +or- a little and it will be at about 4 - 5 MPG or so at wide open throttle.

I don't think there are many 70MPH folks on the forum here but most would like to be able to cruise at about 40 - 45 or so without running the motor at 6000 RPMs all the time. We are not a bunch of speed demons and if we were we would be driving a glass boat. They said it was better structurally, had a better stronger transom, would be a better performer, has a dense foam for extra strength, etc etc. Then they copy Ranger and Tracker and put a 115 on it.

If you are fishing and doing a 20 mile run and would like to cruise and not run wide open all the way with the 115 that is about 30 or so and there is a lot of difference in time spent driving and also in the gas you burn. I have had fast boats and don't want another one but I don't want a slow one either and I don't want to burn more gas than I need to. Don't want to do 70, but would not mind cruising at 45 with gear, gas, livewell and two people without it being run wide open. Can't do that with a 115.
    My thoughts exactly.
    "Now that's some high quality H2O"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post

I agree.
    I am very interested in the 1880 mainly because I love the design features but the 115 is certainly on the lower end of the hp rating. Our lakes in San Diego are small by comparsion with other places, so monster hp is not really needed. However, you said it exactly right, I still want to be able to cruise 40-45 to get around without running wide open. What is everyone's thoughts on having the 115 reflashed to give it just a bit more power? how many more mph should be expected?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog619 View Post
    I agree.
    I am very interested in the 1880 mainly because I love the design features but the 115 is certainly on the lower end of the hp rating. Our lakes in San Diego are small by comparsion with other places, so monster hp is not really needed. However, you said it exactly right, I still want to be able to cruise 40-45 to get around without running wide open. What is everyone's thoughts on having the 115 reflashed to give it just a bit more power? how many more mph should be expected?
    If I remember a post from Simons. For the merc 115 they can flash it to a 125ish HP... 1-3mph at best. It's not like flashing the 75 or 90 since there's no restrictor on the block.
    04' Nitro NX882DC
    150 Merc XR6 21P Trophy
    12' Talon
    LMS- 552C & Hook 9 Bow - Elite 5 Stern

if you didn't see the post about the 2019 1880 it's now rated to 135. Obviously Vexus knows something we don't because currently I believe the only 135 is the Evinrude E-tech HO (non-G2) but why not just rate it to 150 since the 135 weights the same as the 150. And the new 150's are equal or lighter. Although a step in the right direction still not enough!

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylebass91 View Post
    If I remember a post from Simons. For the merc 115 they can flash it to a 125ish HP... 1-3mph at best. It's not like flashing the 75 or 90 since there's no restrictor on the block.
    Your correct. I called them and those are the numbers they gave me.
    Not sure its enough of a gain to make it noticeable or worth it.

14. Member
    I rode in a 1980 with an Evinrude G2 yesterday on Bull Shoals Lake in nw Arkansas. Hole shot was strong and handled the chop pretty well. Seemed light and rode a little rough at 55 with the two of us in it. 34 mph cruising was pretty nice. I’m trying to go aluminum but, I prefer a little more weight. It was like a bobber in the waves sitting still when a cruiser went by us. I’m still waiting on a price with the mercury and other features I wanted from the dealer and then I can make a decision. They were great to deal with. Johnny

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    I for 1 am not super impressed with the HP ratings either. I would love to get into a nice High performance aluminum boat, but right now there's no other option besides Xpress, without going custom, but I see it throughout. The PT20 is another example. That boat is gigantic and underpowered with a 200 IMO. The 1980 with 200 or the 1880 with a 150 would be fun little rigs, but the way they sit they are just over hyped, underpowered luxury rigs. Vexus had an opportunity to do something amazing here and I think they dropped the ball. They came out with a very nice boat, but IMO failed to take advantage of a large group of anglers looking for high performance aluminum options.

With 24 models coming out in the next 24 month, I would bet they will have some more aluminum models that have higher hp rating. These are just the first offerings from a brand new boat company. So maybe, just maybe these first alum models are marketed towards a different group of people that your not a part of. Just a thought. I also like a little higher hp set up as well but for our local lakes the high hp is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog619 View Post
    With 24 models coming out in the next 24 month, I would bet they will have some more aluminum models that have higher hp rating. These are just the first offerings from a brand new boat company. So maybe, just maybe these first alum models are marketed towards a different group of people that your not a part of. Just a thought. I also like a little higher hp set up as well but for our local lakes the high hp is not necessary.
    Hopefully you are right. I wanted a tin and was close to going with ranger 198 but was very intrigued with Vexus. Didn’t want to wait and Ended up ordering a ranger 18 glass boat that I’m very happy with. But down the road I would certainly consider vexus if they upped the hp ratings. From what I’ve seen, the vexus boats have very very good attention to detail and they are very good looking as well.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Etec G2 150 HO
    Ultrex 80
    Garmin 93sv Panoptix

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psubob View Post
    Hopefully you are right. I wanted a tin and was close to going with ranger 198 but was very intrigued with Vexus. Didn’t want to wait and Ended up ordering a ranger 18 glass boat that I’m very happy with. But down the road I would certainly consider vexus if they upped the hp ratings. From what I’ve seen, the vexus boats have very very good attention to detail and they are very good looking as well.
    Yep, I agree. I was all set on a RT198p and had a very nice used one all lined up that was fully loaded. BUT then I saw the Vexus and I immediately like it. The more I looked, the more their attention to details stood out. It started to make the RT’s look unfinished or lacking the finishing touch. They have included many subtle changes that add up to a big difference in quality IMO. So I went in the direction of Vexus because of those details AND the experience & history they have. Without that I would own the RT 198.
    Last edited by Desertdog619; 07-16-2018 at 09:15 PM.

18. Member
    How will the boat perform with power poles or talons, full gas, live well, tx load?

19. Member
    If you look at the Vexus site you will see the 1880 is rated for a 135. Just click on models and right there you will see the rating.

20. Member

USA Vexus 1880

The 1880 is not at all underpowered with the 115 Pro. There is no hole shot to speak of and unless you need to go 60/70 mph it is absolutely amazing.
    We rode a couple ways, two adults, two adults and young man. 48-52 mph some tackle, 3/4 fuel. Handle very well, 12-15 wind, some chop and not a drop on any of us. And it was as quite
    as any Fiberglass that I have ever been on. Very impressed..

Can't imagine what this boat could do with the Evinrude 135 G2 on it.
    The trailer was also very well built, towed well, and handled on the road well.

Vexus has hit homeruns with this line up. It is a shame that boats have gotten so expensive, but what hasn't.
    We want the bells and whistle, it is nothing to add 10k t a new boat (i.e. 2x power poles, electronics, spot lock, etc.)

For 40k you have a great rig and loaded out...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhuna View Post
    Went to the Houston boat show last night and saw the Vexus 1880 and 1980 in person. The Vexus rep and the team at Ron Hoover were excellent to deal with.

These boats are amazing! The design and features of these boats are far above anything in the aluminum bass market at this time. Extremely well thought out and just dang good looking. My heart was set on the 1880 especially after I got to climb all over the thing inspecting every single inch to make sure that was going to be my next boat.

My biggest hang up has been the max 115 HP rating of the 1880. I asked the Vexus rep if they had any intention of increasing the HP rating to which he replied with a big NO. I know every time I hit the throttle I would be disappointed knowing that I spent that amount of money for an 18'10" bass boat that is underpowered. For this reason I will not be buying a Vexus.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast