Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Of course we want the option to get the most we can get. When dropping that much money into a luxury item why would you not want the option to spend a little more for optimum performance. Would you purchase a Ford F350 with a V8 gas? Maybe, but you can also get one with a diesel. I am so disappointed because the Vexus boats are truly awesome.
    Last edited by Kuhuna; 06-18-2018 at 07:30 PM.

2. Member
    I thought the Vexus founders were God's gift to bass boating so why question their methods?

Post #40 is 100% accurate.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundah View Post
    I thought the Vexus founders were God's gift to bass boating so why question their methods?

Post #40 is 100% accurate.
    The problem with that logic is that the one 189 and the 1880 are virtually identical. There is no real performance separation.

Other than 3 in in length and 1 inch in width what is the advantage of upgrading to the 1880? Furthermore, the 1880 will be heavier with the added weight of not only the boat itself, but also internal bracing for the step and longer rod boxes. me it's not necessarily and upgrade as the storage space in the garage is better suited to the 189.

These two models are two similar and really confuse the product offering in my opinion.

With with the 1980 being a 150 max horsepower they really left themselves nowhere to go. Had they gone with a 200 on the 1980 they could have easily positioned the 1880 with the 150.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmc949 View Post
    The problem with that logic is that the one 189 and the 1880 are virtually identical. There is no real performance separation.

Other than 3 in in length and 1 inch in width what is the advantage of upgrading to the 1880? Furthermore, the 1880 will be heavier with the added weight of not only the boat itself, but also internal bracing for the step and longer rod boxes. me it's not necessarily and upgrade as the storage space in the garage is better suited to the 189.

These two models are two similar and really confuse the product offering in my opinion.

With with the 1980 being a 150 max horsepower they really left themselves nowhere to go. Had they gone with a 200 on the 1980 they could have easily positioned the 1880 with the 150.
    The upgrade is you get a slower boat.

5. Member
    Hell, even 125,150,175 would have made sense. If they came out like that some would have been underwhelmed but at least it would have looked well planned.

6. Member
    I don't know how accurate this is but if it its roughly a 2-3K difference between the 115 and the 150, its seems absolutely ridiculous to limit them because of a price point. Especially if its that small of a difference... To each their own I guess

Attached Images Attached Images

7. Banned
    Are we allowed to put a 36 volt trolling motor on it?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmc949 View Post

I don’t disagree with you at all. I think folks are looking at it from a capacity perspective, that is that these particular models “may” be able to handle higher HP ratings. It’s clear their decision was marketing-based. They are deciding how and who they want to compete against. That HP rating placard holds a ton of value when buying new and even more when looking used which is why the gentleman in Post #40 really nailed it.

Will they lose customers because their 18’ model doesn’t go to 150? Sure, at least one on this board if he was truly being honest. But how many customers will they gain who were looking at the Ranger RT188, Tracker 190, Triton, Etc. equivalent that are offering the similar size and rating?

I also agree and have not been a big fan of their marketing. Think it was overhyped and has typical misleading phraseology (“well equipped”) No doubt they are offering a quality boat but that’s just it, another quality choice in the market. Nothing really revolutionary or game changing that is causing the rest of the field to scramble. Of course my opinion may change when they are out there en masse. We are nearing the end of the speculative phase and will see actual market response soon.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuhuna View Post
    Went to the Houston boat show last night and saw the Vexus 1880 and 1980 in person. The Vexus rep and the team at Ron Hoover were excellent to deal with.

These boats are amazing! The design and features of these boats are far above anything in the aluminum bass market at this time. Extremely well thought out and just dang good looking.
    I agree with the above. I have no issue with the HP rating at this point. After riding in one, I may join y'all in wondering why...however, I'm waiting on the center console to arrive at Ron Hoover, and will be there as soon as they get one in to look at it. I'm 90% sure I'm going with a glass center console at this point, Vexus has me intrigued tho

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    If the Ranger 188 hull will run 45-50 with a 115 hp motor shouldn't the pad hull on the Vexus go noticeable faster? I would think it would do low 50's, otherwise I don't see any advantage to the pad hull. Since part of the Vexus team came from Ranger, the fact that both company's 18' 8" boats have a 115 hp max is interesting. They obviously have a reason that they are sticking with.
    Pad hull doesnt always mean faster. A 115 is a 115 hull design helps but you eventually run out of power in all setups and can old do so much especially at this size and weight of boat. The key will be if they designed a hull that doesnt require a welded trim tab on the bottom of the hull. Arent some of these guys the same folks that worked at Ranger when the rt series came out?...............
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    I for 1 am not super impressed with the HP ratings either. I would love to get into a nice High performance aluminum boat, but right now there's no other option besides Xpress, without going custom, but I see it throughout. The PT20 is another example. That boat is gigantic and underpowered with a 200 IMO. The 1980 with 200 or the 1880 with a 150 would be fun little rigs, but the way they sit they are just over hyped, underpowered luxury rigs. Vexus had an opportunity to do something amazing here and I think they dropped the ball. They came out with a very nice boat, but IMO failed to take advantage of a large group of anglers looking for high performance aluminum options.

12. Member
    Aluminum does not have any floatation capabilities. If you throw a small piece of aluminum in the water it will sink. A small piece of fiberglass will float. So an aluminum boat has to have more foam flotation to to pass flotation standards than a fiberglass boat. Flotation standards demand that to pass a flotation test, you to have enough foam to float the heaviest outboard available for each model boat. So if you increase HP ratings, it likely increases the weight you have to float.

Aluminum boats are very hard to have enough storage because they require so much foam. So the higher the HP rating the less storage capabilities you have.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Aluminum does not have any floatation capabilities. If you throw a small piece of aluminum in the water it will sink. A small piece of fiberglass will float. So an aluminum boat has to have more foam flotation to to pass flotation standards than a fiberglass boat. Flotation standards demand that to pass a flotation test, you to have enough foam to float the heaviest outboard available for each model boat. So if you increase HP ratings, it likely increases the weight you have to float.

Aluminum boats are very hard to have enough storage because they require so much foam. So the higher the HP rating the less storage capabilities you have.
    Xpress doesnt seem to have any trouble with storage and flotation standards. Havnt for a long time.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Member
    How much does this boat cost? With a 115.
    Russell Winneberger
    2002 Stratos 20 XL
    ColorVision Painting

15. Member
    I live in Texas a got a quote on one. Base model 1880, Merc 115 ProXS CT, 80lb Ultrex, Vector Package- $34,500 out the door.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Xpress doesnt seem to have any trouble with storage and flotation standards. Havnt for a long time.
    You talking a 21 ft. Boat. I don't think it's mandatory to have level flotation above 20 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhuna View Post
    I live in Texas a got a quote on one. Base model 1880, Merc 115 ProXS CT, 80lb Ultrex, Vector Package- $34,500 out the door.
    Do you have sales tax on boats in Texas? If so what is the %.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Do you have sales tax on boats in Texas? If so what is the %.
    I'm assuming that the tax was included in that price, as he stated "out the door".

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    You talking a 21 ft. Boat. I don't think it's mandatory to have level flotation above 20 feet.
    Good point, because xpress doesn't have any boats under 21ft.
    Last edited by buzzzzbait88; 06-24-2018 at 07:51 PM.

20. Member
    Sales tax is included in the 34,000

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast