Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Yup more power
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

2. Member
    As someone with an 18ft boat with a 150 4S I know I would be disappointed in a 115. I spend 90% of the time running comfortably between 35-45 and get great fuel efficiency without running wide open all the time. The rare times when I want to break 60 I can do it.
    I agree that no matter what the hull a 115 will most likely feel under-powered.

3. Member
    Mercury four strokes, and Yamaha for that matter, don't "make oil" unless there is a problem with the engine. Obviously break-in needs to be done properly, but running less than WOT most of the time doesn't cause problems.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Exactly. To be a “revolution” wouldnt you want to set the bar a notch above the rest. The ranger hull is a slug its just a basic hull design the vexus is light years ahead with the pad etc its a very nice boat but a 115 is a 115 regardless and will only push a boat this big so fast fancy hull design or not. I would be disappointed to pay this amount of money and do 45-50 mph with it maxxed out. And contrary to another post NO engine will last running WOT all the time its not happening.
    If the Ranger 188 hull will run 45-50 with a 115 hp motor shouldn't the pad hull on the Vexus go noticeable faster? I would think it would do low 50's, otherwise I don't see any advantage to the pad hull. Since part of the Vexus team came from Ranger, the fact that both company's 18' 8" boats have a 115 hp max is interesting. They obviously have a reason that they are sticking with.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

5. Member
    I got to see the boats today at the Houston show also and was impressed. Very nice boat.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Evidently there is one w/a 150 at RealDealMarine™ there is a thread.. post #53
    Real deal marine in Pineville Louisiana ?????

7. Member
    Excited to here this. My 1880 should be ready end of July. Super pumped about your post!

8. Member
    The Ranger RT 188’s actually go about 40 GPS with the 115 on them. I know cause I own a Triton 18TX which is the same hull and it goes just above 40. The pad hull is going quite a bit faster with the same motor. When Vexus gets to making them with no carpet as an option I will order one but I will probably get the 1980 with a 150. I have owned several glass boats and don’t see myself going back to glass. Now that I have a boat with no carpet I won’t be going back to that either.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdr2064 View Post
    The Ranger RT 188’s actually go about 40 GPS with the 115 on them. I know cause I own a Triton 18TX which is the same hull and it goes just above 40. The pad hull is going quite a bit faster with the same motor. When Vexus gets to making them with no carpet as an option I will order one but I will probably get the 1980 with a 150. I have owned several glass boats and don’t see myself going back to glass. Now that I have a boat with no carpet I won’t be going back to that either.
    If all you’re getting is 40 gps you probably have some setup issues . Mine and most that are setup properly will run upper 40’s close to 50 . I agree and would think that the pad hull 18 ft with the 115 should at least touch 50 if not a little better with some good setup .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

Guaranteed to hit 50 when towed behind your truck. Put your buddy and gear good luck getting 45 and thats with out filling live well.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatinpete View Post
    Guaranteed to hit 50 when towed behind your truck. Put your buddy and gear good luck getting 45 and thats with out filling live well.
    Ok then if you say so !

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhuna View Post
    Went to the Houston boat show last night and saw the Vexus 1880 and 1980 in person. The Vexus rep and the team at Ron Hoover were excellent to deal with.

These boats are amazing! The design and features of these boats are far above anything in the aluminum bass market at this time. Extremely well thought out and just dang good looking. My heart was set on the 1880 especially after I got to climb all over the thing inspecting every single inch to make sure that was going to be my next boat.

My biggest hang up has been the max 115 HP rating of the 1880. I asked the Vexus rep if they had any intention of increasing the HP rating to which he replied with a big NO. I know every time I hit the throttle I would be disappointed knowing that I spent that amount of money for an 18'10" bass boat that is underpowered. For this reason I will not be buying a Vexus.
    "or this reason I will not be buying a Vexus. " < that made you sound like a SHARK on shark tank
    "

My RT188 has been at my house longer than any boat I have owned in many many years. I was thinking about trading it for a Vexus 1880..... Then I saw they only rated it for a 115..... Now I have changed my mind about the boat. I am not 100% sure I would have bought one, but the odds were in their favor because I am wanting to drive something new for a while. I love the RT188 and it has been a good boat....I just have the bug to get something new...

WELL, their decision to only put a 115 on it just lost them a very probable sale. It's a shame too because I really like the boat and I am in the mood to buy something new.

Vexus, it was a really BAD decision on your part to do this. Really bad. Even with the pad hull, the weight this boat has will be a problem for the 115 in my opinion. Xpress has been making a pad hull on this type of boat and your new hull won't run any better or may a little....and it will end up being another 45MPH + or - a little boat with a couple of people and their gear and batteries and gas.... It might not even do that with a load. This boat should have a 150 available for people that want it,.... You should listen to your potential customers. You may sell all you want to with the 115, good luck with that. I hope you are successful.... But it could be so much better. Too bad. I will probably buy an Xpress to get the right motor.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

so when all of us are asking why they are rated low for HP, we never get an answer from Vexus on this? The standard answer is it's rated for the price point, but that never answers the question and it seems they are dodging the question? Why?

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

15. Member
    This is simple, people want a high quality boat you can run two shallow water anchors on, at an affordable price. They make that boat now. They are rolling out new boats constantly, they seem to be focusing on what the market needs currently. Does the glass boat market need another competitor immediately? Not as much as the aluminum boat market needed something different. Why would anyone buy a RT198p over the AVX 1980? That is what they are going for. I am confident you will see a similar boats with higher ratings soon, but I am also confident you will be seeing many of their current boats around as well. Not everyone needs or wants a boat with a higher HP rating, I am sure there will be a boat for everyone soon!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanson1114 View Post
    This is simple, people want a high quality boat you can run two shallow water anchors on, at an affordable price. They make that boat now. They are rolling out new boats constantly, they seem to be focusing on what the market needs currently. Does the glass boat market need another competitor immediately? Not as much as the aluminum boat market needed something different. Why would anyone buy a RT198p over the AVX 1980? That is what they are going for. I am confident you will see a similar boats with higher ratings soon, but I am also confident you will be seeing many of their current boats around as well. Not everyone needs or wants a boat with a higher HP rating, I am sure there will be a boat for everyone soon!

17. Joe4d
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanson1114 View Post

which still doesnt make any sense,, as you could do what needs to be done to make the boat rated to 150 and offer the boat packaged with a 115 or a 150 and capture both markets.
    Sounds like they know they messed up and are tired of everyone asking why cant they get a higher rating.

18. Member
    This is such a simple fix...

Why would you purchase either without the availability of a larger engine. The only way I would buy a AVX 1980 is if it was rated to at least a 175, but based upon what I've seen 200 is the proper max rating. Wouldn't buy a RT198P, not a fan of the Jon Boat style. Especially coming from a Glass Boat.

1996 Ranger R70 1998 Mercury 115
    Helix 7, SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 SI/DI GPS
    Helix 5 GPS Sonar
    T-H Marine Hydro-wave 2
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    CMC Hydraulic Jack-plate

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    which still doesnt make any sense,, as you could do what needs to be done to make the boat rated to 150 and offer the boat packaged with a 115 or a 150 and capture both markets.
    Sounds like they know they messed up and are tired of everyone asking why cant they get a higher rating.
    Psychology.... People want to buy the most they can get. If they offered it with a 200 most people would not buy it with a 150 because they don't want less than max HP on a boat. But the 200 pushes the boat out of the target price range. It is really no different than any other boat builder has done. Multiple boats with different options, different HP rating. Phoenix 819 vs 919, Ranger z118 vs z518, 18 TRX vs 189 TRX, etc.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast